Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3's through DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Default MP3's through DVD Player

I have tried to play both CD and DVD discs that have MP3 tracks recorded on them but the DVD player in my 2007 GV won't play them. I read in another thread that by tuning the radio to 88.1 FM, you could connect an audio source to the audio in jacks on the DVD player and it would play through the speakers. That idea didn't work either.

However, today I connected an MP3 player to the audio jacks and stepped through the Mode selections on the RB3 Radio/Sat Nav and lo and behold, the screen displays AUX IN USE and plays my MP3's

Attached Thumbnails MP3's through DVD Player-dvd-player.jpg  
Old 06-21-2014, 05:14 PM

My 2007 GV plays mp3 discs, but with no info on the screen and potentially thousands of tracks on a disc it's a bit of a pain. Especially if you like a song on the 6th album, side 2. Lol. So as it happens, I connected an old iPod to my system today which is a lot easier to scroll thru. I'll probably just use the disc changer for DVDs.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:24 AM

The only radio I know of that plays mp3 discs is the RAH. If someone knows of another lemme know.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Oxford
My 2007 GV plays mp3 discs, but with no info on the screen and potentially thousands of tracks on a disc it's a bit of a pain. Especially if you like a song on the 6th album, side 2. Lol. So as it happens, I connected an old iPod to my system today which is a lot easier to scroll thru. I'll probably just use the disc changer for DVDs.
I wonder what the difference is between your 2007 and mine. Or perhaps it's the way that the MP3's are created on the disc. But I supose without the track information in the display I may as well stick with the media player I'm using via the AUX inputs.

My next experiment will be to see if I can play movies off the media player through the DVD screen

Old 06-22-2014, 04:38 AM

To be fair Alan not all my mp3s play. They were created on different pc's using different make of disc, but as said before it's a lot easier using an iPod to scroll thru anyway.

Old 06-22-2014, 05:04 AM

As to playing movies I've tried that but only had the sound. No picture. I'm not sure if it's the format of movie or the player or the lead as I haven't really had time to mess about too much yet.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:22 AM

Creation depends on many many variables, some user [home copy] induced, media format etc ,others pre-determined by frames, tags, bitrate, etc. For 20 or more years the cheepo ALDi and other players would play anything thrown in the slot while the big boys were and continue to be over protective. When I get a different car I create a DVD with 20 DRM free tracks - find out which of the 20 won't play - and remake with an internal structure that has a 100% fault free rate. Most 2012 + cars will now play anything thrown at them. My own GV will not play any MP3's, but has a 6 slot player - 7 with the one in the radio.

Old 06-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Oxford
As to playing movies I've tried that but only had the sound. No picture. I'm not sure if it's the format of movie or the player or the lead as I haven't really had time to mess about too much yet.
Well I have previously played video footage off my dash-cam via the AUX inputs to the roof mounted DVD screen. If it's an analogue video signal then it should play OK, it doesn't matter if it's .MP4, .MOV, .AVI as long as the signal that comes OUT of your player is analogue.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Creation depends on many many variables, some user [home copy] induced, media format etc ,others pre-determined by frames, tags, bitrate, etc. For 20 or more years the cheepo ALDi and other players would play anything thrown in the slot while the big boys were and continue to be over protective. When I get a different car I create a DVD with 20 DRM free tracks - find out which of the 20 won't play - and remake with an internal structure that has a 100% fault free rate.
Very informative QinteQ, that's more or less what I expected but I'm just too lazy to go to all that trouble. Like you, I can put 6 music CD's in the player and a 7th in the SatNav slot but it's still more convenient to use a media player, iPod, iPhone, iPad or whatever.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM

Hiya Alan, my 05 has neither sat-nav nor MP3 capability. The navigation never bothered me, my phone is more than fast enough with a 5.5" screen for navigation. The MP3 business bugs me but as you say we have a workaround compromise with the 6 disk changer. My previous going back a decade or more always had the capability to do vids and iPod etc, I went to great lengths to hide the AUX inputs / iPod capability from people .. .. selfish old git I may be but I will not under any circumstances listen to hours of clanging boynky boynk [GRIN] which seems to be the music of choice of other people.

Most car manufacturers will arrange different 'permissions' depending on the legislation on intellectual property and copyright laws. I'm sure the same set is capable of [codecs] playing anything thrown at it, whether its allowed or 'crippled' will be down to the country of sale not the country of origin.

Take care.

Quick Reply: MP3's through DVD Player