Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mygig? gracenote? endless frustration

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Default Mygig? gracenote? endless frustration

Can anyone help me sort this out? Why does my car recognize some cds and not others? Or some portion of the info on cds but not all?

First the background: 2008 Chrysler T&C, purchased in 11/2008.
NO navigation system.

I'm going to cut an paste an email I sent to gracenote. they respondes by saying, essentially, "check with your dealership." The dealership denies that there is anything whatsoever that needs to be updated, so no help there. So, here's my problem:

I’m wondering if you can help me. I have a Chrysler minivan with mygig installed. I understand that cds should be recognized using gracenote. My car does not “recognize” or read any/all information from certain cds. My van is a 2008, purchased in 11/2008. I believe the version of gracenote is 9.112 (or was it 8.112? I looked at it this morning but forgot to write it down).

For instance:
1. I recently purchased the album “Middle Cyclone” by Neko Case. This cd is listed online in the gracenote database. When I insert the cd into my van, the player recognizes the song titles, but no other information (no album, no genre, no artist). Thus, when I try to copy/rip the cd into the HDD, it is saved generically, with NO information- not even the song titles. I’m not sure if I’m explaining it clearly, so, put another way: if I play the album FROM the CD in the van, I can see the track names, and nothing else. If I rip the CD and try to play it from the HDD, I see no identifying information. The tracks are merely identified as “track1,” etc. The truly frustrating part is that ALL the information appears when I insert the cd into my computer and try to open it using i-tunes or Windows Media Player.

Another problem:
2. When I purchase albums on i-tunes, and then burn to a disc, some are recognized (for instance, “Action Packed” by Richard Thompson), and others are not (for instance, “One to the Heart, One to the Head” by Gretchen Peters). What gives? Why does it work for some and not for others?

3. There are other problems, too. Some song titles have typos (“Walzing for Dreamers” instead of “Waltzing for Dreamers”; “Fully Qualified to be a Man” instead of “Fully Qualified to be Your Man”), which is not nearly as big of a concern as the previous two.

4. And as long as I’m on a roll… Is there any way for me to make a “mix cd” of songs from various albums and artists, and have my van recognize all the information? Or am I just asking too much from the current technology?

I would really appreciate any information and tips you can offer. I have spent so many frustrating hours trying to rip and burn cds using my computer, hoping that the burned cd might be recognized in the way that the purchased cd wasn’t. I’ve tried transfering songs using my ipod and a thumb drive, and neither of those options works either. I’m beyond frustrated!! Thank you so much for your help.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:41 AM

I got an 2005, and have trouble with some burned DVD's and CD's. I just keep re-inserting to try to get them to bootup. Not sure about the other stuff you mention as I don't think I have that.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:58 PM

9.112 would be the software level check out this site for gracenotes http://www.mofv.com/mygig/

Old 07-26-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Merlin
9.112 would be the software level check out this site for gracenotes http://www.mofv.com/mygig/
I've been all over this website in the past- I've seen it referred to in these boards. What information is supposed to be contained there? I've never found anything really helpful on that website.

And you're right- 9.112 is I think the mygig software (I confused the two "version" numbers when I typed the original post). I forget what the gracenotes update number is. regardless, many of the problem cds are 1) listed online as being included in the gracenotes database, and 2) predate my van, so they should be included in the database version I have.

Does anyone else have trouble with the cd player not recognizing regular old cds that were purchased at the store? This drives me CRAZY. I think the HDD is such a fantastic idea, but they just implemented it really poorly.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by lzollner
I've been all over this website in the past- I've seen it referred to in these boards. What information is supposed to be contained there? I've never found anything really helpful on that website.
Hi
If your gracenote level is lower then what is posted on there it shows you how to download and update yours to the latest level.
NOTE: but updating gracenotes could knock off some of the older songs that work at the minute. So you could find it fixes some but then you have other that no long show the info.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by lzollner
Does anyone else have trouble with the cd player not recognizing regular old cds that were purchased at the store? This drives me CRAZY. I think the HDD is such a fantastic idea, but they just implemented it really poorly.
I have never used the Gracenotes feature in my car, it's pointless to me.
I always use my Netbook to rip CDs and AudioShell to edit the CD information, then burn it to a USB drive, then upload it into the HDD via the USB port. I download a lot of Indie songs from the Internet and listen to a lot of underground mixtapes (which Gracenote wouldn't recognize anyway), so it's easier to name the albums/tracks on my computer and then upload via USB.

The USB method has saved my bacon once when I accidentally wiped all of songs on the HDD in my Sebring. Because I had everything backed up on the USB drive, all I had to do was reload the songs via the USB port instead of dig out every CD and hope Gracenotes remembered them. Much easier IMHO.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Default mygig 2008 town and country

Sorry to hijack this thread but I cant find a place to start a new thread. I have a 2008 t and c with mygig nav system. I cannot program addresses into it to save. I can only save when I get to the destination. I would like to program all of the places (addresses I use on a regular basis) so all I have to do is go to favorite places or something. Can someone please help me out. P.S I am technically challanged!

Old 05-23-2010, 08:17 PM

The latest software upgrade for the mygig rer is 2.043.
The latest gracenotes uprade is 2057.
You can download it free from the website mentioned above.