Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mystery electrical connector

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 12:39 PM
Default Mystery electrical connector

2005 T&C 3.8L engine. Having a problem with the car cranking but not starting. I've been checking the wiring and found a connector under the engine bay fuse box that doesn't appear to go to anything. I know sometimes, due to having many different models, there will be occasionally parts that don't do anything. This thing is just floating around in there, corroding, and I can't find anything it would mate with. I want to check and make sure it's not something important before moving on. It's the blue, square, plastic connector being held in my hand. Anyone recognize this?

Attached Thumbnails Mystery electrical connector-mystery-connector.jpg  
Old 07-24-2018, 02:00 PM

Before I go and open up mine, do you have a CEL that has been coming on? If so have you scanned for codes? Is this a sudden crank/no start problem or long time happening?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 PM

No CEL. The car was working fine, then it wasn't. Went to start it one morning and it just cranked and cranked but the engine wouldn't catch. Brought it to a mechanic (who didn't do a good job) who claimed they tested the fuel pump and found the pump engaged and the fuel line was pressurized. They said the engine wasn't getting spark and that they had "odd readings" (wouldn't tell me what they were) that indicated the PCM was bad and needed to be replaced. They also claimed to be able to pull up code 0688 (I haven't gotten any codes with my reader). Long story short, I replaced the PCM and it made no difference. Then I replaced the battery (it was low and needed replacement anyway), the ignition coil pack, ignition wires, camshaft sensor, and crankshaft sensor. I also checked the fuses and checked for corrosion on the wires under the engine bay fuse relay box. Overall, very little corrosion, except for that odd connector. I also haven't found any visible problems with the wiring leading to the coil pack, camshaft sensor, or crankshaft sensor. Starting to grasp at anything I can here.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:26 PM

Seeings as I have 2 3.8 T&C's in my yard, ONE shows the same UNUSED Blue capped but BLACK connector (where the few wires go into), and my other one does NOT have that. I doubt that that is your problem. When you turn the key to the run position do you hear the FP energize for a few seconds?
I looked back at some of your previous posts, so I take it you did get it running, and what did you end up doing to get there?

Old 07-24-2018, 02:39 PM

Thanks for checking Rebel59. I'd feel bad if I kept putting work in to it and the issue was something I was ignoring. Unfortunately the car is still not running. Nothing so far has made any improvement in the situation. I've been taking suggestions, but the last one was to check the coil pack, camshaft sensor, and crankshaft sensor. Found nothing wrong with them, but replaced them anyway because they weren't that expensive and I had no other leads. Basically sitting here twiddling my thumbs at this point, which is why I asked about the connector. It was so corroded I figured it had never been plugged in to anything, but now that my other repairs failed to make a difference I decided to follow up on it. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:49 PM

How'd you ENJOY getting the Cam sensor out...Lots of fun i'll bet! Try swapping the horn and FP relay and even though hard to properly test, try swapping a few of the big maxi fuses around. Something about yours is just NOT adding up to the problem you are encountering. Good Luck!

Old 07-24-2018, 03:02 PM

Honestly, getting those three items replaced wasn't too bad, considering some of the repairs I've done. Hardest part was blindly fiddling with getting the new camshaft sensor in and the bolt positioned, and finding the hidden nut behind the power steering reservoir to remove the coil pack.

As far as the fuses are concerned, I used the spare relay to check it and have already tried just swapping them out. Everything there seems fine. I'm thinking I'll recheck the fuel pump. It wouldn't fit with what the mechanic told me (no spark, code 0688) but their work did not instil me with confidence. If you see all my threads disappear, it's because the pump was bad and I'm erasing evidence of a motive in the case of the missing Meineke mechanic.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:07 PM