Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Me 2008 T&C - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Default New to Me 2008 T&C - Advice?

Hi,
New to the forum, and just wanted to get some "expert" advice. I just got what I thought was a sweet deal on a 2008 Town and Country. Low miles, 85,000. I mean, a Grandma drove the thing so I thought, dream come true! A little more background, I was driving a RAV4 prior to this, and then also a Mazda MPV. Both zippy things...and now with a 2nd kid on the way, I wanted space.
I got this from a person who's husband owns a transmission shop and she claims there were 500 miles on it since the last oil change. They also flushed the transmission fluid before a trip taken in the vehicle.

I love the van, the space for sure, but there are two things I wondered about after doing research. Maybe 10 years later, '08 T&C owners would have advice?

1. I think the thing smells like it's burning oil. The temp stays consistent, but the smell is noticeable. I've done the internet research and found others who say it burns a quart every 1000 miles. Anyone have this? Any advice?

2. This is the typical "strange shifting" in the first 3 gears post. Again, internet research told me a little already. I even found a post on here from 2012 I think. I've learned that the RPMs up around 3-3.5 is normal in the first few gears, and then it's nice and easy going in 4-5th gears. No clunking, or shimmering even. Just longer than I'm used to. Nice for highway driving, but around town, I feel like it's struggling.

Anyway, with the low miles, and honestly pretty nice body for a Michigan vehicle, I'd love to keep this things running for like 5 years. Do you all have any advice on things to do for upkeep? Anyone want to warn me or give me a heads up for what to look for or possibly do to keep my "Man Van" running alright?
Thanks and I'm happy to be in this little Chrysler community.
PK

Old 06-29-2018, 11:51 AM

Assuming your engine is a 3.3ltr petrol, a compression test which is quick and easy will show up any wear in valve guides and piston/cylinder. My diesel burns no oil between service intervals if that's anything to go by. It's also a good idea to check any crankcase ventilation system with a filter to see if it's clogged. Another good idea with a petrol is to run the engine with the oil filler cap removed to see what comes out. Should be virtually nothing.
Leedsman.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:25 PM

Thanks. I believe it's a 3.8 L, V6 engine if that makes any difference.

I'm pretty car dumb, honestly. But I'll look in to all you suggested. Thank you!
PK