Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Key Fob and maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 01:23 PM
Default Newbie Key Fob and maintenance

Just bought a 2003 Grand Voyager...silver Limited XS with just over 100K miles. A lot of vehicle for the money, lots of ***** and whistles, but plenty to go wrong, of course.

Came with only 1 key and key fob (power doors etc.). Am bidding for a used spare fob on a well known auction site...what to do about getting a spare lock/ignition key???? Is this dealer only item? Any advice welcome.

Car is in ok order but has not been loved. A good wash has really lifted the outside. Lacks maintenance history (not a good sign, but priced in). Runs very well, with a light rebound clunk from left rear (looks like rear self-levelling shock upper mounting bush...as experienced by others on this forum, £19 on auction website - thanks for that useful tip).

Trans fluid looks bright and clean, recent front brakes, recent battery, changed engine oil and filter today and will fit new air filter this week. Will likely pull plugs, inspect, clean, gap and refit (new plugs are pricey). Need to grease front ball joints. Tires are all good. Fluid levels all ok now. Almost everything seems to work...AC is cold but not ice cold...so will live with that for a bit.

What other maintenance would you recommend at this stage? Playing catch up.

At this stage, seems like a good vehicle, and cleans up to look quite smart. Honeymoon continues UFN.

Happy Motoring.

Munro
New Forest/South Coast
2001 Jaguar XJR - silver
1979 Triumph Spitfire - Inca Yellow/rust

Old 07-21-2013, 02:56 PM

[quote=Munro;71910]

2001 Jaguar XJR 1979 Triumph Spitfire
- like it / them both
- welcome to the forum Munro
- you will know that you need both keys to code a key, so the one from flea bay will have to be coded for money M8

I just go with what we call general maintenance each year, its a heavy bus so drop links and bushes do go, when that happens I do both sides its cheap general stuff really. The brakes in general are under powered for the weight of the vehicle and the parking breaks [drum] are a joke. Having said that we all love the machine and apart from an annual do~it~yourself service there's only the gearbox [These box's are good for 200k with care] to pay particular attention to because of the costs involved.

Like you mine was second hand at 62,000, but did have a good service history, I had no evidence on paper the box oil was changed at 60k but decided not to drop the pan and would never do a flush if I was Richard Branson. I have access to a fully rigged MOT station, I used their syphon master to suck a full pint of gearbox oil into a clean glass milk bottle and decided when I had the full pint it was clean & sweet enough.

I then continued to suck out all I could get into 2 empty 4 pint ASDA plastic bottles for disposal and managed to get two full bottles plus the pint in the glass so about 9 pints + I replaced the 9 pints plus with new, ran the engine in all gears including reverse around the block and syphoned out a~n~other 1 full pint and compared the colour and smell of the two [before & after] glass bottles, and was happy they were no different, so I poured the pint back in to the correct level on the stick.

NOTE : I took advice on colour from this
, BTW if you see a red bit of text you are supposed to click on it.

Best of luck.

Last edited by QinteQ; 07-21-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Add info on ATF4+
Old 07-22-2013, 04:06 PM
Default Newbie Maintenance

Big Thank You to QinteQ for helpful response, and especially for the tip in red which is most welcome. Really cool the way you did that.

Will be checking over those suspension parts closely for wear and tear.

Happy Motoring,

Munro
New Forest