Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Odd whine

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:43 PM
Default Odd whine

We left on a road trip today and I’m driving my wife’s 2010 T&C, 3.8, 121,000 miles.

Prior to trip I put new plugs, wires and belt on it.

On the freeway at speeds of 60 and above there is a whine that sounds exactly like when the blower motor bearing started going out. hold speed at 60 and it whines. let off the gas it goes away. just touch the throttle again, not accelerating but holding speed and the noise appears. The faster we go the louder it is. When accelerating to get on the freeway the noise is gone but appears when speed levels out.

Car in PARK and rev it up no noise. Car in D and rev it up with foot on brake no noise.
I hear nothing when I open hood. Car in PARK I can turn steering wheel back and forth and no noise.

The noise sounds like it’s coming from the dash area. radio is OFF. Blower is OFF. I don’t drive this regularly so I don’t know if it did this prior to my work on it.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:24 PM

Noise is not affected by turning radio on or off or A-C on or off.
500 miles into our trip and my wife wants to trade it in for a new van. It will drive us to eat our young if I don’t figure it out.

its shifting fine fine and running normal temp with nothing leaking.

I actually bought a new alternator before we left just to have with us in case it went bad on the road. I may have to swap it at the hotel. problem is I can’t duplicate noise while stopped.

speed limit is 80 and the noise is nearly unbearable but not changing. Just slowed down to 65 and can barely hear it.

Last edited by notsofast; 09-17-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:12 PM

I’m thinking now it’s the transmission. since 67,000 miles when we bought it there was a whine when decelerating to a stop. This may be an extension of that. it shifts very well though.

Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 AM

From your description of when and how the noise appears, it sounds like the differential carrier bearings are going bad . They are inside the trans. case where the inner CV joints go into the transmission. I've had the same "whine" in my 98 Avenger since the day we bought it 5 years ago. Changed the trans oil and filter and used some Lucas brand trans stop leak, the noise is still there but dramatically less severe. I am not willing to remove the trans to be able to replace the offending bearings(taper roller bearings) to fix the problem on mine. Not sure if the mini van has clearance to do that job with the trans still in the car.

Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 AM

That makes sense. I found a way to check the fluid using the engine oil dipstick and it appears to be a 1/4” high so I can’t put an additive in it. Heck, I can’t even find any where we are.
Ive done carrier bearings in a few rwd trucks before. Not sure how you can do those in this wo splitting the case

Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM

It whines when Ibshift manually and use lower gears also as long as the RPM is up. When I manually shift it up I can hear the whine increase for a split second during the shift then come down when it goes into the higher gear. It’s kind of a “ooooowhip” sound in between gears for that split second between gears.

its much lighter sounding that a gear whine. It’s very light like the defroster blower motor sound.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:06 AM

You hear the noise when the differential section is under "load" of acceleration due to the pressure tilting the diff into the wear area of the roller bearing. When in a coast mode the differential is "coasting with the pinion gear.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM
Default G.V. "whine"

Re. "whine" coming from 2010 Grand Voyager, petrol...
Apart from other noises coming from dashboard area, if there is a minute aiir-leak from an inlet hose or gasket, this can cause a whistling noise at idle which disappears as soon as the throttle is touched --- worth a check.
Leedsman.G.V.

It could of course also be the most common funny-noise of all, the fan-belt. And don't just reject that out of hand -- my G.V. had a broken front coils spring which sounded exactly like a broken rear leaf spring

Last edited by Leedsman; 09-20-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: addition.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM

Anything is possible without having firsthand "look-see" at just what is going on. I however DO KNOW what is the cause for my A604 equipped auto trans of my 98 Avenger with the same described type noise that was FIRST posted, later the "story" is a bit changed in later postings.