Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake and gas pedal safety issue (too big of a gap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:37 PM
Default Brake and gas pedal safety issue (too big of a gap)

I just buy a Chrysler town & country 2015 but I have a hard time with the pedals, there is too big of a gap between the gas pedal and brake pedal. Basically you lift your foot off the gas pedal, raise it an inch or two and it's still not far enough, so you hit the side of the brake pedal. In an emergency braking situation this could be the difference between stopping in time or being in an accident.

I mentioned this to a dealer and he said, "Ya, that's been like that for years". WHAT a disappointment. I even saw a post in 2008 on this forum of a guy complaining of the same issue. There's two issues here:

1. Although it's only a split second the travel time is farther that it should be. This means that braking distance is much farther in an accident; farther than it would be if the pedal gap was fixed.

2. When I drive my car I get muscle memory on how far you need to lift your foot to get to the brake pedal, when I get back into the van, I repeatedly have this issue of hitting the brake pedal on the side; which is even longer to affectively brake. There should be an industry standard, but then again I've driven hundreds of other cars / vans and have never seen experienced this huge gap.

I've asked if there's an after market attachment or some way to fix this but haven't found a solution. Does anyone know if there's an attachment for the gas pedal that would raise it up a little and reduce the gap ?

Regards, unhappy owner

Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 PM

And if it were much closer together...would you then complain of the SAFETY RISK of inadvertent hitting the Gas when you meant to hit the BRAKE thus having an acceleration accident thinking you were one the BRAKE???? There was a BIG HOWL a few years ago thru the whole industry of this concern!

Old 09-20-2018, 03:53 PM

I thought this sounded familiar.

With the exception of the opening phrase: "I just buy a Chrysler town & country 2015 but I have a hard time with the pedals," it reads nearly word for word like this post from 2013 : Brake and gas pedal safety issue (too big of a gap)

Even the thread title is identical.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:57 PM
Default Any suggestion??

Any suggestion ???

Old 09-21-2018, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by ChryslerMomMinivan
Any suggestion ???
If you read the entire thread I linked to above you would have found a link in post #35 to a thread with a good suggestion on how to raise the pedal: Raising Throttle Pedal relative to Brake (5G, power pedal assembly)

Don't stop at the first post, the best suggestion is in the second post.

Old 09-21-2018, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Why did you report that a user was rude to you? I see nothing rude. I see infact the same word for word post from 4 years ago being brought up again. Did you own that thread or are you just using it in the same way? Plus Yes in most cars the break is higher then the gas just for that reason. Are you short? Is one leg longer or shorter then the other? Are you using one foot or 2 feet driving? How long have you been driving because mmm I am going on 25 years and all the pedals have been setup the same way all but in a go kart. If you are having a hard time getting to the pedal there are electric ones that will adjust to your height. You will more then a base model van though.