Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Offside headlight shines up offside walls.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Default Offside headlight shines up offside walls.

Need this odd prob sorted soon before MOT.
Here's the diagnosis:
Offside full beam light is low and won't lift.
Light shines up offside walls.
Left hooker headlight comes to mind but part no on casing says not.
New bulb fitted but as expected no change.
Nothing broken inside casing.
Answer maybe to change whole unit. Bet most agree.
But its a challenge before the brake work that's also needing done.
Who said try You Tube.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:38 AM

Some say its differant glass that changes it from left to right hand drive.
Some say its the reflectors.
it seems BMW's can be changed over via a turn of the bulb holder on back.
But I do notice the bulb has a shroud around it, with holes set in shroud to direct the light to the reflector, hence possibly giving beam a direction.
Need to get picture/drawing of these shrouds and go compare...(and don't start singing).

Old 10-07-2015, 01:43 PM

Right, Shroud same left and right headlight.
Label on casing says RHD.
Going inside, the tilt of the beams is by three pivots in an upside down triangle. 2 top pivots are adjustable via T27 torx, while bottom pivot is electrical via adjuster wheel on dash. So I noted that the inner top adjuster is almost fully out (some pillock at play) making beam point offside ways which is the problem.
Hence work out for yourselves what's required to remedy my problem.
And not just one pivot adjusting...Maybe.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:37 PM
tfb

hopefully that'll get you a pass

Richard

Old 10-08-2015, 12:19 PM

I had a nightmare with headlights when going from UK spec to European, firstly as My Voyager is the 2001 to 2004 model regarding the headlights there are not an awful lot of European lights available, so in a rare brain storm I thought Chrysler USA Left hand drive, found headlights advertised on French e bay from an American company, so saw the price and went or it, they were $130 including customs and shipping the pair, they arrived and were so wrong I was realising I was an idiot very quickly yes they fit the Voyager nicely but the Americans use different dip system to what we expect in Europe this works via the bubs/lamps which were not supplied, in the end I got one from a UK breaker and one from a French breaker, the nice French mot tester set them or me, so if any one would like set o US spec hedlihgts they can have them or the cost o postage LOL

Old 10-09-2015, 09:09 AM

As far as I can see there is enough adjustment on the adjusters to turn the beams from LHD to RHD just by fiddling with the torx adjusters. Might be a case there of remembering how many turns of the two adjusters to go from RHD to LHD. Then on returning from Europe reverse the turns. I may have to tell, no advise MOT tester tfb that beam requires some adjustment and pay for it. I will try myself an do some adjusting in hope of getting it near enough.
I see I've not got my pictures on here yet, try later.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:16 AM

Unfortunately not possible, the light pattern is set by the reflector behind the bulb, if you shine your lights on a wall the left side of centre should kick up slightly, mine did until I changed them to the correct part number for L/H/D now mine kick up on the right and illuminate the verge on dip, as yours will illuminate the verge on the left, main beam is no change, if they are wildly out of adjustment s is possible with the adjusters then they will shine all over the place.

Old 10-09-2015, 09:22 AM

Yes I think we will forget about that idea of mines as headlight did have label RHD..

Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Here's a picture of the adjustment slide on inside of offside headlamp. Screwing that slide upwards will bring beam from offside to nearside, but also lift it. Other adjuster will need to lower it to right height.
Wonder who the cleaver clogs did this. It passed the MOT when I bought the car, well Birmingham MOT right enough.
Would be interesting to see that slide position on another car to confirm.

Attached Thumbnails Offside headlight shines up offside walls.-chrysler-voyager-headlight-1.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 01:21 PM

what year is yours? as mine has the 2001 2004 headlights, yours look a little different from memory, I have the UK ones in the shed I could take pics of them if they are the same

Quick Reply: Offside headlight shines up offside walls.