Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh My God Spark plug change on a 98 grand voyager uk 3.3 v6

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 AM
Default Oh My God Spark plug change on a 98 grand voyager uk 3.3 v6

Aint been on for a while but what a bloody job this turned out to be. I decided to have a go myself as I am wanting the experience and want to learn about these vans. After looking around and much thinking I thought the best way was to go in from the top. Removing the wiper box and inlet manifolds etc. Well did it not all go badly wrong. I had ordered the bits I needed as I was running on 5 cyclinders at most and was going to pick up the bits on Monday when it finally gave up and just stopped. Anyway I managed to get the bits delivered and started stripping out to get to the back three plugs. I found this on the net and thought it was a great help. http://www.paulsrichards.com/2008/06...er-voyager-v6/ I actually wish more folk would do things like this as it was a help. Seized bolts that are difficult to get to though have been my killer. It took me all Monday to strip down apart from a walk to our local motor store to get some better tools. Plugs and Leads came today and they are now in. I have a task ahead in rebuilding but cant do that until I have the inlet manifild gasket was hoping not to need one but it broke. I stripped it down myself to see if I could see any problem with the rear exhaust manifold as its really noisy under load. Can't really get to the manifold this way but it let me have a look and I could see no obvious cracks or holes though th heat shield covered up lots of it. So I know when I put it back and if I get it running again on 6 cylinders (hopefully) I will still have as noisy a car as before. Had an exhaust guy check out the exhaust and he said it was ok but he could not reach and would not even attempt to reach the manifold, great huh? anyway I was really hoping for some loose bolts on the rear exhaust manifold but not to be. God only knows what it is now. I am begining to think it aint the exhaust or manifold at all. I am dreading it being something like a transmission noise but it sounds exhausty and its really loud. I reckon with the plugs and leads changes at least I will not have a misfiring engine and hopefully that will make it a bit quieter. Any ideas from you technical guys at what the noise could be would be great. Anyway it lying in bits waiting until I get the gasket and hopefully rebuilding will be easier than stripping down. Out of interest I had someone look at the car and he wanted to take the engine out to do the work dunno how much that would have cost me. I bought the 3.3 v6 as I knew the engines were good downside I suppose is working on them is difficult. Thankfully I have this week off work but having no car is really difficult even though I am off work and the kids are off school. It's our only car and I really hope to get it running again as I need it for next week. cheers. Robert.