Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Opps!! smoke from under the car

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 05:03 PM
Default RE: Opps!! smoke from under the car

ORIGINAL: actd

Thanks (again) Merlin for explaining more accurately the auxiliary heater - do you know how much fuel it burns in 5 minutes? Also, any idea where the intake filter is? Sounds like something I need to check.
Hi
Don't believe there is one (I have never changed one in the 5 years working for chrysler) and it's not a service item. No info in the service manual on changing a filter. They do smoke and it is normal when they start up.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:19 AM

all european voyagers are asembled in austria, in chrysler factory in vienna.
all diesel engines are VM engines, produced in italy. old models were 2,5 litre with turbo, newer ones are 2,8 liter turbo (2,5 TD) with common rail system (2,8 CRD).

2,5 liter old engines (up to 2 000 MY)used to have 4 separate engine hads and timing chain.
as of 2 000, diesel egines came with one single head and with T-belt.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:41 AM

ORIGINAL: I wonder

all european voyagers are asembled in austria, in chrysler factory in vienna.
all diesel engines are VM engines, produced in italy. old models were 2,5 litre with turbo, newer ones are 2,8 liter turbo (2,5 TD) with common rail system (2,8 CRD).

2,5 liter old engines (up to 2 000 MY)used to have 4 separate engine hads and timing chain.
as of 2 000, diesel egines came with one single head and with T-belt.
I assume that mine (a 2001 MY) is common rail diesel since it's called a 2.5CRD - is this correct?

Old 11-23-2008, 08:56 AM

Hi
Yes the first ones were 2.5 TD with 4 heads (boat engine)then they went to the VM engine 2.5 CRD same as the KJ cherokee or liberty as the US call them, then went to the 2.8 CRD.

Old 11-23-2008, 01:45 PM

ORIGINAL: actd

I assume that mine (a 2001 MY) is common rail diesel since it's called a 2.5CRD - is this correct?
yes.

your engine is of common rail type.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Merlin

Hi It doesn’t come on when it’s over 15c outsideor when less then 1/8 of a tank of fuel or when the inside temp is higher then the set point. Other then that it will run for 5 minutes on every run
Mine was still running this morning when I switched off - the engine had been running for about 20 minutes, so had warmed up thoroughly, and my fuel tank (low fuel) light has just come on, so I'm low-ish on fuel. Outside temp is around freezing, but should it still be on - I did turn the interior heating up to maximuma few minutes before I got out of the car.

Is there any way to cut the timer, or to manually switch it off?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:43 PM

Hi
Don't set the temp too high will stop it running all the time.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:55 AM

ORIGINAL: Merlin

Hi
Don't set the temp too high will stop it running all the time.
Ah, Ithought that it only came on if the temp was set to max and the engine wasn't fully warmed up - I assume then, that it must cut in if the engine heat isn't sufficient to warm the inside - which if the outside air is around zero, would be most of the time if I have it set to high. The manual isn't so clear on this, but I'm beginning to understand it now.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:58 AM

Merlin,
Could you tell me if there is any test one can do to determine if the auxiliary heater is working correctly. Mine seems to be on constantly during the winter no matter if the engine is warm or not.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:11 PM

May I add something important here. Watch that there is no coolant leaking out of the exhaust side of the auxiliary heater as it will be cracked inside. To see a leak under the engine is more obvious than seeing a leak under passenger compartment.
I came to a conclusion that these heaters should be serviced every 5 years for example and there is spares for them on Flee-bay, even heat exchangers.
I didn't realise that quite a few cars use this heater, BMW X5, Rover 75, etc., but buying a second hand one could be a waste of money. Perhaps serviced before fitting would guarantee it.

Quick Reply: Opps!! smoke from under the car