Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Our transmission is dropping hints

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Default Our transmission is dropping hints

We have a 2000 Voyager that is dropping hints. We got the engine icon on the dash a while back. Now, periodically, it takes three turns of the key to start it (it is getting juice but there is no click).

Took it to the shop and my mechanic could not reproduce the starting problem but checked the engine icon and said he was getting a Po700 and Po740--transmission stuff.

Sent it over to the transmission guy who tried hooking up a solinoid pack but the codes came back after driving for 15 minutes. He removed the pan and found a broken snap ring. Says we need to rebuild the transmission.

Any thoughts? Van seems to be running fine but I assume he is correct?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. Chuck

Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 AM
moe
Default RE: Our transmission is dropping hints

sounds like you need to have trans gone over.overhauled.snap rings in the pan are not a good thing.i'm sure it was a little peice of snap ring stuck on the magnet in the pan.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:43 PM

Thank you Moe. We will head in that direction.

Any idea if the starting problem could have anything to do with the transmission issue?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
moe

unless you had a real bad torque convertor issue.or flex plate problem i don't see how it would keep you from starting.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:21 AM

Again, thank you. Chuck

Old 03-28-2008, 12:09 PM

P0740 means that the torque converter failed to lock up. If your van was shifting fine, it could not possibly be the solenoid pack since the solenoid (an electrically operated valve) that controls flow to the torque converter also controls the low gear shifting on your tranny. Technically a problem with the valve body (mechanically activated valves in the transmission) could cause the converter not to lock up, but a simple pressure test will tell if that's OK. The most likely problem to cause the code you have is a worn torque converter clutch. I just had the problem with my van and fixed it by replacing the torque converter only.

As for the snap ring? They could be making it up to push you toward overhauling the transmission. I say that only because you have not said that there are any other problems with the transmission and the shop could just replace the torque converter or they could sell you an overhaul along with it-- the overhaul is a good chunk of change for them to leave on the table.

In any case, replacing the torque converter requires removing the transmission so if you have a lot of miles on it you may just want to overhaul it anyway so you won't have to pay again for the removal/replace labor if the transmission goes bad in a year. In my case I only had 52,000 miles on the tranny, so I just changed the converter.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Thanks for this Rick. I went ahead and told them to do it. I don't know the transmission guys, but my mechanic (who is also a friend) recommends them so I am comfortable that they are not trying to snow me. Gut decision--hope I'm right. Chuck