Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over Heating Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Over Heating Problem

ok no u dont have the recall for the fan but u do have 2 others 1 for the clock spring and one a brake clip u can get them done for free at a dealer. If u dont feel like u can do the relay then have them do it there for ya i dont know what it will cost ya sence u are over seas.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:04 PM

so you believe its the relay that gone wrong for the car to have this problem?. I do hope so as i was not looking forward to receiving quotes for a new head gasket.
Ill see if I can grab the part over the weekend and install it my self.
And many thanks for you help.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet. What i THINKCHRYSLER_TECH is responding to is the fact that your A/C hasn't been working (and it sounds like this COULD cause some overheating issues, particularly in stop and go traffic, as that's when the fan operation becomes really crucial in my experience (Southern Arizona, summer temps in the 110 F). I've had non-working fans on my '92 Honda Accord for about a year (finally fixed it about two months ago), and it was really only a problem if you let the car idle in traffic on a hot day. I normally don't drive in heavy city traffic on my highway commute, so this wasn't a big problem.

However, this does not address the fact that coolantwas disappearing from your radiator.....
Also white smoke is comming out the back and did does smell sweet. (Could not try this until i got back home)
If by "comming out the back" you mean coming out of the exhaust, then you are describing symptoms that are VERY consistent with a head gasket leak. Furthermore, a head gasket leak is a commonoccurrence after overheating the engine the way you did. If you're like me, you're not always Johnny-on-the-spot with regard to keeping a constant lookout at your temperature gauge, so who knows how long the engine ran in the overheated state? If you do indeed have a head gasket leak, you'll want the mechanic to check your heads for warpage and correct as needed.

IFthe previous paragraph is correct, then once the head gasket issue is corrected, you'd want to find out what caused the cooling system leak in the first place that lead to all this mess. A cooling system pressure test SHOULD reveal any residual leaks.

Good luck

Old 01-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

replace the relay first cheaper then messing with the head gasket first of all. Top off the coolant in rad and over flow tank drive a few days look the the level in the over flow tank not the radiator if the level has gone down so that there is no coolant in the tank then u look twards an external leak or head gasket leak. I think some places have them if u dont want to pay for a checkout go to an auto store and look for a head gasket leak test kit it wil have some oil and a tube which u put over the radiator and it will change color if there is exaust gas in the system form a blown head gasket.

Old 01-26-2007, 06:41 PM

replace the relay first cheaper then messing with the head gasket first of all.
Yes, but that does not address the cooling system leak that the OP noted. Perhaps your argument is that the OP wasn't really paying attention to the coolant level, so you're not convinced that they did indeed fill it up before overheating a second time?

if u dont want to pay for a checkout go to an auto store and look for a head gasket leak test kit it wil have some oil and a tube which u put over the radiator and it will change color if there is exaust gas in the system form a blown head gasket.
Except that the "combustion leak detector" kit normally sold at an auto parts store (don't think the cheaper places like Autozone or Schucks/Checkers have 'em) costs about $40-50, because it contains enough fluid to test at least 20 vehicles or so. Although the dealer may charge that much to do the test, I doubt any other shop would - I would guess about $10-20 maximum for them to do that combustion leak test (yes, I've been wrong before )

I'm considering buying that kit myself, just to have around for later, but you gotta use it several times to make it pay for itself IMO, but the OP sounds interested in solving the problem at hand for minimum $$.

The logic is sound however - test before replacing expensive parts.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:37 PM

yes sorry, when i mean smoke coming out the back i do mean coming out of the exhaust. I had to take the car out tonight was not very far but noticed something i have not spotted before, the needle crept up above normal to about 3/4 of the way, then suddenly dropped back down to normal as if there is pressure being released.

This was the last time using the car till i can take a good look at it. I managed to steal my son's car for the next week or so. lol
I'll keep you posted during tomorrows events.

Thanks all for your replys

Old 01-29-2007, 08:34 AM

the needle crept up above normal to about 3/4 of the way, then suddenly dropped back down to normal as if there is pressure being released
I'm assuming that by "needle", you are referring to the temperature gauge. Although it is usual for the temperature gauge to go a little higher than "normal" and then drop down (sign of the thermostat opening and allowing the now-warm coolant to returnto the radiator, and hence allow more cold coolant to flow in from the radiator), 3/4 of the way up sounds a little bit on the high side to me, but then perhaps it was a bit shy of 3/4, in which case I probably wouldn't worry about it. The critical thing is to pay attention to it for awhile and ensure that this behavior is consistent. Otherwise, I would be concerned that the thermostat is in the beginning stages of "sticking".

Keep an eye on the coolant level in the overflow bottle before you start it (when it's cold)every time for the next few days/weeks. This will help you determine if the level really is dropping for certain. However, given the fact that you see the white smoke comingout of the exhause (even when warmed up), the #1 item on my list would be to test for combustion gases in the coolant, as mentioned earlier.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:42 PM

Hey all,

After a problem solving weekend I now know how the car is able to flush so much water with in a couple of days. Filled the car up on Saturday by the rad and water bottle, and pressurized the system. Turned the car off and the car pretty much pushed most of the fluid back through the water bottle onto the driveway, once it done that the water bottle stayed over the MAX Level. The car did this even when it was running, no wonder why i could not see this as it also appears to do this while the car is in motion and must been only doing this in motion for me not to see this before. So I take the car to the garage and they flushed the system and pressurized the system for me and from what I can understand the car was able to keep pressure and was doing what it was suppose to do. So I guess that means no air can get into the system. (I don’t know) Got the car back home, and the front drivers tyre was soaking so it had manage to do it again while driving home. Anyone had this problem before?? This must be the reason why the car is overheating – it seem that as soon as coolant goes in the system it throws it back out.

Thanks guys for all your help so far

Old 01-29-2007, 04:14 PM

How didyou pressurize the system? Do you have a pressure tester, or did you just run the car and allow it to build up pressure internally, or both. I just pressure tested my van this weekend (after replacing the water pump) using a pressure tester on the radiator, and when releasing the pressure too quickly, coolant will spill out. I did NOT run the engine during this test. Quite handy to be able to pressurize the system w/o having hot coolant spew out I might add.

If you had the pressure tester on the radiator AND you were running the engine, then yeah, it's going to build up pressure, and when you remove the pressure tester, it'll spew out of the radiator or go back into the overflow tank. I'm not sure I'm reading you correctly, you said the drivers side tire was soaking, but the overflow bottle is over on the passenge side. Was coolant coming out of the overflow bottle or the top of the radiator? If the overflow bottle was full (ator above the max line)when you left the mechanic, then yeah, it makes sense that it would spill over as the engine warmed up. From your description, I'm having a hard time differentiating between what might be a problem and what is naturally going to happen in the scenarios you've described.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Hi,

I'm very big problem in water for engine. For every day water going out (3 liters).
In this moment engine open and alls ok.
What the problem, I don't now.