Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating 1997 Grand Voyager

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 02:53 AM
Default Overheating 1997 Grand Voyager

Hi, today i had the car running for about 30 mins or so while i cleaned it, then while i was waiting for the kids at school, i head this gurgling etc...looked at the temp gauge and it was at the top in the red!!!. Let the engine cool down for a while, and then drove home. Re filled the water up etc, but now the heater doesn't come on in the car???

Does this mean the thermostat has gone?? if so can i change it myself? or is could it be the relay..

Or would an airlock affect the heater in the cabin?

Any help would be appreciated

And if some one could tell me where the temp senseor or rad sensor it to check or replace?

and by the way its a 1997 Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3 petrol auto

And im in england.......

Old 09-26-2009, 03:23 AM

Hi
does sound like the relay for the fan has failed. The relay is down behind the air filter. Have you rechecked the water level sounds like it is still low.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 AM

Sounds like the fans didn't come on so you need to have that diagnosed. and yes if you boiled the coolant out, you still may have an air lock. and hopefully you didn't fail a headgasket because this too will cause no heat inside

Old 09-26-2009, 05:46 AM

It definately won't be an air leak as the system is self bleeding, so as long as there is enough water in it, it will purge the air into the expansion bottle.

Check the water when cold and then run until either the fans come on, or the temp gauge gets near the top. If the gauge goes that high before the fans come on then, go with the relay.

I too am in England

Old 09-26-2009, 08:46 AM

Right-- got out my spanners and socket set--took off the air filter--found out that it was BLACK--thought id nip to halfords---dont sell them--so never go to halfords again, any way got all the plastic off, and saw the relay bolted to the body. Took it off and noticed it was wet? gave it a clean, wiped all crap off, screwed it all back up. Checked all the water levels, then fired her up, got rid of any air locks, left her idling to get hot ( remeber not to do this in scotland ) and after 15 mins temp was still normal, maybe a tad over the middle but fans never came on...So checked all the fuses, there ok. So as the fans never came on so i am thinking it IS the relay under the air filter--as if this is shagged then the fans won't come on. and the heater works in the cockpit now. So thanks for everyones input.

So i just need to get a new relay then, and then wait for the fans to kick in If this doesn't fix the problem, any other ideas?

Last edited by bradleigh1977; 09-26-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: done it wrong
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 AM

Hi
It's nearly always the relay (had some wire fault but not many) Fan will also come on with the air con so don't have to wait till it's hot.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:24 PM

lol the air con dont work.

when i bought the car, it never worked, it never came on with the switch. now i had/have the immobiliser problem--got a second hand 21 pin connector as mine was melted---BUT i think it had melted not just the earth, but the wire for the air con. But when i got the replacement it had one of the pins missing, so now there is one pin still not connected in that 21 pin plug on the back of the heater panel. And when i was connecting the new plug, i noticed that someone had already done this before, and i think they may have wired it wrong, any way never had a problem with the immobiliser, but never had the aircon to turn on either. i know its empty as i tried to get it charged but the bloke said there was a leak some where as it wouldn't hold the gas.....

Do you know if one of them pins is for the air con? as if it is ill put it in the garage and get chrysler to fit a brand new 21 pin plug. You have posted the part from the morpar website b4.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:51 PM

If you look at my post from the MORPAR website it tells you the pin out also.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Default overheating

I know where you are comming from. I have the same problem with my 2003 voyager 3.3 liter. Cooling fans are not working. I will check sensor tomorrow. I have been fighting this for several weeks. I 'm hopeful this will remedy the problem.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:42 AM

i want to get a newer voyager---say 04/05/06 but is seems these stupid electric gremlins are every where--is there a year when they didn't go wrong--if there is ill buy one!!!!!

want a sto and go---as fed up with lifting the heavy seats in my 97