Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCM bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Default PCM bad?

How do I tell if my pcm is bad?

Replaced ignition switch and starter relay.

I have a 2000 T&C that won't start. I have tried the cluster fix, even though it didn't look bad, touched up the solder.

Battery is good , cables were looking bad so replaced them. Went through all the wires to make sure nothing was broken corroded, unhooked etc.

I'm thinking it is something to do with the transmission range sensor but want to be 100% sure before I go yanking that out.

Starter cranks when I jump from the relay.
Someone did have a wire going from a relay grounded to the fender which I think was the starter relay 85 socket. I originally took it off and don't remember, but even with or without it hooked up it is the same.

Thanks for any help.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

u get a wire diagram and see where the ground side for that relay comes from then check some wires to and from it if they are all good then get a scanner or take it to a shop that can look at stuff like a range sensor and see if it is doing what it is suppose to also try putting it in N see if it will start.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by CHRYSLER TECH
u get a wire diagram and see where the ground side for that relay comes from then check some wires to and from it if they are all good then get a scanner or take it to a shop that can look at stuff like a range sensor and see if it is doing what it is suppose to also try putting it in N see if it will start.
Thanks for your quick reply

I only have a Haynes that covers '96-'02 Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler mini vans and don't see the TRS [transmission range sensor] even mentioned

I did find this:

Chrysler Questions - I have a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country that stalled on the - JustAnswer

but am confused by what the guy means by using a paper clip

The connector looks exactly like what is on mine and figure this has something to do with starting since there doesn't seem to be a "regular"
neutral safety switch on this transmission. One car parts place insists there is...

Trying to start in neutral does nothing

As far as a better diagram, were is a good place on line? Money is not a big deal, heh,heh

Old 04-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

visit alldata.com or mitchellonedemand.com they are aftermarket suites that cater to professionals I think I can get a month test run subscription or something like that

that van stalling and then not starting are 2 seperate things U dont start teh van while U are driving so that is not an issue

Old 04-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

I have the diagram for the relay in hand email me I will send it to ya U wont be able to see it if I post it on here U are too new

Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM

visit alldata.com or mitchellonedemand.com they are aftermarket suites that cater to professionals I think I can get a month test run subscription or something like that
cool. I will try to subscribe later tonite.

that van stalling and then not starting are 2 seperate things U dont start teh van while U are driving so that is not an issue
true. I was thinking more that the starting problem after it stalled, for what ever reason, sounded the same as mine not starting.

have emailed you for the diagram and thanks again.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by abj63
Went through all the wires to make sure nothing was broken corroded, unhooked etc.
Okay... when I first looked at the wiring it was a kind of quick look at the harness itself. Nothing looked broken burned or unhooked, only a wire grounded to the fender from a relay, but I don't remember which.

I have since done a more comprehensive look and found that the wires coming from connector #6 off the Power Distribution Center were all stuck together, not burned or such, and I pulled them apart carefully.

I do not see any bare wire in the insulation on wires, but do or should I replace each one or can I wrap each wire with tape for now?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by abj63
Went through all the wires to make sure nothing was broken corroded, unhooked etc.
Okay... when I first looked at the wiring it was a kind of quick look at the harness itself. Nothing looked broken burned or unhooked, only a wire grounded to the fender from a relay, but I don't remember which.

I have since done a more comprehensive look and found that the wires coming from connector #6 off the Power Distribution Center were all stuck together, not burned or such, and I pulled them apart carefully.

I do not see any bare wire in the insulation on wires, but do or should I replace each one or can I wrap each wire with tape for now?