Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

peeling clear coat

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
Default peeling clear coat

I have a 97 t&C lxi in candy apple red and the clear coat is peeling off my hood and creeping down the front. has anyone else had this problem or know what it is? I called my dealer and chryler and they said they have never heard of such a thing.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:28 PM

I have a 2002 Voyager and have the same problem. The clear coat is coming off in spots on the hood and roof but no where else on the vehicle. I spent almost $100 on different products at Autozone but nothing worked. I know the ultimate fix is to take it in and have a paint and body shop put a new clear coat on it. I did try something that took off the excess peeling and smoothed it out and it has not gotten any worse. I used Wet/Dry silicon carbide sandpaper and let the water hose on low let the debris flow off the hood. I started with 1800 grit then finished it with 2400. Then I put a wax (take your pick) and it looks 10 times better and stopped peeling and flaking. Just a band-aid quick fix when money was tight and I could not afford a body shop to hit it with a few new clear coats.....

Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Unfortunatly rather common on Chrysler products 97-99 with Candy Apple Red. Does not appear to be an issue after the change to Inferno Red Pearlcoat (PEL) Only real fix is repaint and out of luck on the 7 yr/100k warranty...

Old 11-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Default Clear coat peeling

My color is actually white. It is less noticeable than red or other bright colors. Like I said, I tried the method I mentioned in my previous post and it worked for me as a temporary fix. I know that I will need to take it and have it done right with a paint and body shop stripping the paint and re-painting and applying new clear coat. It is odd that is only on the hood and the roof of my vehicle. Thanks for the post. I am glad i signed up for this site where I can gt some answers to questions I may have and hopefully be able to help someone else. Thanks and best of luck