Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plenty Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 04:57 AM
Default Plenty Problems

Good day all !

Bought myself a secondhand Automatic Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3L LX LWB (2003) last year. My first long trip resulted in chaos and had it towed in to Chrysler in Johannesburg - South Africa. Almost R22 000-00 later we were back on the road ! A year later I have the following problems:
1) Knocking sound when turning sharp right. ( CV Joints ? )
2) Parking uphill or downhill - Huge jolt and noise from gearbox to get it into drive or reverse ! On level road no problem.
3) Drivers window winds down fine but when winding up get stuck about 5 times before properly closing with long intervals before next few mm movement.
4) Shudder on steeringwheel when traveling faster than 120km/h
5) Poor fuel performance.
6) Missing aircon and aircon pump ( Previous owner wanted to repair and lost it !)

I can help myself with mechanics but need a few pointers here please.
Also if someone can tell me where to download a service/repair manual to get to know the components of this car a bit better please.

Thanks in advance !

Old 11-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by WesselP
Good day all !

Bought myself a secondhand Automatic Chrysler Grand Voyager 3.3L LX LWB (2003) last year. My first long trip resulted in chaos and had it towed in to Chrysler in Johannesburg - South Africa. Almost R22 000-00 later we were back on the road ! A year later I have the following problems:
1) Knocking sound when turning sharp right. ( CV Joints ? )
2) Parking uphill or downhill - Huge jolt and noise from gearbox to get it into drive or reverse ! On level road no problem.
3) Drivers window winds down fine but when winding up get stuck about 5 times before properly closing with long intervals before next few mm movement.
4) Shudder on steeringwheel when traveling faster than 120km/h
5) Poor fuel performance.
6) Missing aircon and aircon pump ( Previous owner wanted to repair and lost it !)

I can help myself with mechanics but need a few pointers here please.
Also if someone can tell me where to download a service/repair manual to get to know the components of this car a bit better please.

Thanks in advance !
1) Probably a CV joint if it is a constant rythmic knocking, if just a single knock then it's worth checking Sway bar bushings and Links too as they are a weak point
2) Any Auto transmission does this if you use it to hold the car on a hill in park. Noise is the park prawl under load being pulled out of the flywheel. Try setting the parking brake before you put the transmission in park next time you park on a hill.
3) Motors are a weak point, but that sounds like a fault with mechanism. Either way a new regulator assembly (mechanism and motor) will probably fix it.
4) See point 1, but also check track rod ends for wear.
5) Could be anything but most commonly, fuel leaks, sticking brake calipers, low tyre pressures, failed O2 sensor (engine light would be on)
6) I assume the condenser is missing as well as the pump....if so you can fairly easily buy a compressor and condensor, but it'll cost you.

Last edited by booke23; 11-13-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 AM

Dear Booke23

Thank you very much for your input ! Much appreciated !
I will strip and check this coming weekend...

On point 6 yes the condenser also missing ! Do u think it a good idea to try and source this from a scrapyard maybe ( all components ? )
Last time I checked with the dealer even they were not sure which parts as apperently there were 3 models very close to each other that won't work on other models ? The VIN number apparently the only way to order thes components..

Still want to know where I can buy/download a Service Manual for this model please...

Thanks again so far !

Regards
Wessel

Old 11-14-2011, 03:49 PM

A Manual. Not sure you can subscribe from outside the USA but give it a try

Automotive Repair, Auto Recalls, Automotive Software & TSB's - ALLDATA ?

Old 11-18-2011, 01:48 PM

wessel, what was problems from last year? Any of the same? 1)cv left or right? new aftermarket complete shaft $80us(R650)ea 2) always set parking brake on non level roads 3)power or manual? lift motor/cables - man $160(R1300) auto $100(R820) 4)any bad ball joints found on road worthy test when bought? (I would take it for suspention test @ test station) Can be tranny/cv/suspention??? 5) what is poor? My 99 voager 3.3 10.0 - 13 l/100km, my 01 T&C 3.8 12 - 14 l/100km 6)ac compressor(R2800) Replace compressor/ drier/ condensor( and inside evaporator ~ common problem on us models) Don't know if US and SA parts are same (Think all sa models from europe ~ maybe some one else know) Good luck!