Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor gas mileage on '05 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Default Poor gas mileage on '05 T&C

I just got a 2005 T&C Touring 3.8L 6cyl MiniVan with 45,000 miles on it. It runs great and have no problems except it only gets 12.5 mpg. No engine lights showing and runs smooth. I added a can of fuel/carbon cleaner and it did nothing. All I know is an elderly man owned it. I work at a dealership (not chrysler) and they have no idea what is causing it. I purchase 87 octane fuel. I can't afford to run this van. Our friend has a 35 foot motor home that gets the same gas mileage. This is crazy. Would really appreciate if anyone could help me. Something has to be wrong. My brother has a 2006 3.3L and he gets 19mpg. I would be happy with 17-18mpg at this point. Haven't taken it on a road trip on highway yet, so don't know what that mileage will be. Thanks.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:13 PM

I am having the same problem with our 2005 T&C. We were getting about 18-19 around town and now we are getting around 14.5. I have changed the plugs with no help. I was thinking the O2 sensor is going bad. We have 104K on ours and it has always gotten 18+ around town until the last few thousand miles. If you find out lets us know. I was thinking I an going to change the O2 sensor. I think their is only one before the cats.

Good luck.
Bill

Old 06-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Default Still trying to figure out

We finally took it on it's first highway trip this weekend and it was averaging 27 mpg, which is great, but everytime we drive locally, it's avg. 12mpg and I know this is not normal. It should be getting about 18mpg. I've heard if the 02 sensor was bad, a light would show up on console. Hoping someone here can help us figure it out. Again, ours is the 3.8L, but should get better than 12mpg in city. Runs great, but this gas mileage is killing me. I understand there is no fuel filter to change out (except in gas tank) and the air filter is not dirty, so don't know what else to do.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by dannygirl508
We finally took it on it's first highway trip this weekend and it was averaging 27 mpg, which is great, but everytime we drive locally, it's avg. 12mpg and I know this is not normal. It should be getting about 18mpg. I've heard if the 02 sensor was bad, a light would show up on console. Hoping someone here can help us figure it out. Again, ours is the 3.8L, but should get better than 12mpg in city. Runs great, but this gas mileage is killing me. I understand there is no fuel filter to change out (except in gas tank) and the air filter is not dirty, so don't know what else to do.
I am getting ready to change the O2 sensor this week. It was $36 for a new one. I know sensors can go weak. I will let you know if it helps.

Bill

Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 AM

That is strange that there is that much of a difference between town and highway. Could it be a transmission problem? Is your trans shifting OK around town?

Bill

Old 06-15-2011, 01:04 PM

No problems with transmission that I know of. Its really weird. The only thing i've noticed that is strange with the van is occassionaly when I start it up the rpms,mpg gauges jump all the way up and then back down. It's done it about 3 times in the past month since i got it. doesn't make any strange sounds or anything. I don't have any warning lights either.

some people tell me the bad gas mileage is normal for a minivan and i refuse to believe that.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:29 PM

No problems with transmission that I know of. Its really weird. The only thing i've noticed that is strange with the van is occassionaly when I start it up the rpms,mpg gauges jump all the way up and then back down. It's done it about 3 times in the past month since i got it. doesn't make any strange sounds or anything. I don't have any warning lights either.

some people tell me the bad gas mileage is normal for a minivan and i refuse to believe that.
We were getting about 18 around town just a few months ago so bad gas mileage is not normal.

Bill

Old 06-20-2011, 12:28 PM

what size engine do you have. i have the 3.8L. i wonder if that would make a difference?

Old 06-20-2011, 02:01 PM

How fast did you drive on the highway? Any hilly type of highway or just plain flat one? What the condition of city driving? Generally smooth, stop and go, or bumper to bumper traffic?

I have 2002 3.3L LX. Bought used with 24,3xx miles on odometer. Now it's 101,427 miles. Avg city:17.5 mpg (several times dipped down to 14 mpg and reached 19 mpg as well), and avg highway 20.5 to 21 mpg (several times dipped into 19 and reached as high as 21.4).

People on internet with the same engine said they average 24/25 mpg, but I never reached that, not even 22 mpg. No error codes ever came up since I bought it. I did all the routine maintenance myself except changing serpentine belt, idler pulley, tensioner pulley assembly, transmission fluid & filter. About to change the struts and shocks at the same independent repair garage that did the above works. Minivan feels more responsive after those works above were performed. Also changed the 3 spark plugs their wires facing radiator. Vehicle feels even more responsive. About to try to change the other 3 plugs and their wires facing front passenger this coming weekend. Fuel consumption is still the same.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:22 AM

what size engine do you have. i have the 3.8L. i wonder if that would make a difference?
I have the 3.3L engine.

Bill

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage on '05 T&C