Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor gas mileage on '05 T&C

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:46 AM

When I got the 27 mpg, we were on mostly flat land driving 60mph or so, not a lot of stop and go, got great gas mileage (but we don't normally drive like that). My normal driving is on our local highway (45mph or so) and then lots of stop and go lights. I know that eats up the gas, but 12mpg is ridiculous. My brother has the largest v8 ford makes in his truck and he avg 10-12 mpg. This is only a v6 3.8L. If it was getting 18 mpg avg I would be happy.

It runs great, so I don't want to mess with too much on it. Going to get a friend to clean out the (throttle??) or something like that and put some fuel treatment in tank. I've even tried a better gas. It just doesn't make sense. No lights on dash and running good. How can I get 12mpg in city and 27mpg on highway. Wish I did more highway driving LOL.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:42 AM

I could not get the O2 sensor replaced for our 3K road trip. We did get about 23 MPG over the 3K trip.

Bill

Old 09-11-2011, 02:57 PM

I am getting less than 15mpg with my 2005 chrysler minivan and i have tried a tune up etc and have also taken it to two different certified chrysler shops and still getting same mileage. Did you find anything that work for you?

Old 09-12-2011, 12:17 PM

Hello, I own a 3.3 V6 Built 2001, now about 100k miles. It runs in average with 18 mpg. In town it´s a little less, on highway it consumpts 19 mpg. No special tires, mostly 4 to 5 passengers.

Old 09-12-2011, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jonas
Hello, I own a 3.3 V6 Built 2001, now about 100k miles. It runs in average with 18 mpg. In town it´s a little less, on highway it consumpts 19 mpg. No special tires, mostly 4 to 5 passengers.
Your plugs and wires are due around 100K. I bet you can get that MPG up some.

Old 09-15-2011, 04:55 PM

hmm how strange I have a 2005 T%C with 3.8L and when we bought it Girlfriend thought it was supposed to get about 18MPG in town which is why we did not get a Durango as they get about 14 I believe but every single milage check I have done when filling up we average about 13MPG. We never drive long distance or free ways very often for that matter I assume from what I am reading here that 13MPG is way low for a3.8L? I know from maintenance record at Chrysler it has been well maintained even had Tranny fluid changed about 1 year ago and it seems to shift fine as far as I can tell, The engine oil was super clean and stayed that way till now as It needs changed but still is no way as dirty as I am used to seeing in other vehicles which leads me to believe it does not have alot of carbon build up inside.
I just got a Engile light recently with the P0420 code which is O2 Sensor Catalytic converter not storing oxygen correctly alarm. I am now wondering if it has had some issue since I bought it in April of 2011 as I did a mileage check then and it has always been between 12MPG and 14 MPG never better then 14 even when we did do a freeway trip of about 50 miles I think that was when it was at 14MPG.

Old 09-15-2011, 05:00 PM

I am curious when I first got this van we ended up driving it and had the low fuel light come on before we got home to get extra money to fill it up could running the fuel tank down that low cause damage to the CAT or to the O2 sensors? I would really be upset if that is what could of caused this to have bad mileage and cause the P0420 code. I have heard that running these newer vehicles low on fuel causes them to run lean (or is that a Myth). And I could imagine running it lean could damage the CAT and teh O2 sensors as it would be running extra hot then.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:04 PM

Plugs and wires were changed at 75K miles. This weekend I made a ride over the german autobahn with mostly 75mph. Average fuel consumption was about 21 mpg. 4 Persons in car, roof rails in place.
Not to bad.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:52 AM

We're still only getting about 13 mpg around town. Never more than 2 or 3 people tops in van. Mostly just myself. Get great mileage on highway 27mpg. It runs great and no one can seem to figure out why. I've had a few mechanics tell me that it is probably normal but i disagree. It should be getting close to 18mpg in the city. Unfortunately, we don't do a lot of highway driving, so can't take advantage of the good mpg on highway. I'm gonna get the tires balanced soon to see if that helps.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by dannygirl508
We're still only getting about 13 mpg around town. Never more than 2 or 3 people tops in van. Mostly just myself. Get great mileage on highway 27mpg. It runs great and no one can seem to figure out why. I've had a few mechanics tell me that it is probably normal but i disagree. It should be getting close to 18mpg in the city. Unfortunately, we don't do a lot of highway driving, so can't take advantage of the good mpg on highway. I'm gonna get the tires balanced soon to see if that helps.
13 is still to low. Are you idling a lot? You know, drive thru, waiting for kids after school....stuff like that? May be a stupid question but how are you calculating your MPG? Pull one spark plug out and see what brand it is.

Last edited by TNtech; 09-21-2011 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Poor gas mileage on '05 T&C