Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 04:25 AM
Default Power Mirrors

I've noticed on my 2007 GV, that the passenger side mirror always moves past the "parking point" after it's been folded in using the switch on the steering column.

It folds in fine, but when moving back to the out position, it always goes slightly too far and I have to open the window, reach across and pull it back, and it then clicks into position.

Anyone else had this problem or pulled the mirror apart and looked how it works ?

Thx

Mat

Old 12-23-2015, 01:20 PM

It seems to be a common problem with pre-2008 models (at least). I think the more you use them the better it gets.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:30 AM

OK thx, my 2001 never had the problem in all the 15yrs we had it, mirrors worked fine, as did the air-con... I've noticed a couple of quirky little issues on my 2007 even tho it's only got 45000 miles on it.

Air con is completely empty, must have a small leak as the previous owner had it recharged two years ago (i have the receipt)

Job for the spring time i think :-)

Old 12-24-2015, 10:21 AM

I had same with my 2005 voyager. When i bought it. After using switch couples of times it stopped doing that.

Old 12-24-2015, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by matgriff
I've noticed on my 2007 GV, that the passenger side mirror always moves past the "parking point" after it's been folded in using the switch on the steering column.

It folds in fine, but when moving back to the out position, it always goes slightly too far and I have to open the window, reach across and pull it back, and it then clicks into position.

Anyone else had this problem or pulled the mirror apart and looked how it works ?

Thx

Mat
Mechanical & Electro Mechanical: Two circular opposing ridged plates, spring loaded. The mechanical is when someone whacks it from the rear [or front] and you pull it back manually to position. The Electro Mechanical is when you rocker-switch in and out and 'both' locked ridged plates are moved a known distance on a stepper motor.

You appear to have a situation where the manual 1/2 distance is exceeded by the manual full distance, in other words you have used the stepper motor switch whose known distance tolerance is now over the 'should be' distance. Try yanking it back a full too far by hand rather than a 1/2 distance and returning it manually a few times - do not use the switch at this point. Does that work ? There's another 'body module' setting for his ~n hers mirror settings that have nothing to do with the ridged plates so try pulling the NEG battery cable for 15 minutes, then put the the NEG back on - does that help ?

Old 12-25-2015, 05:17 AM

I guess it could be that the stepper motor positioning is wrong, it can't travel too far towards the car as it hits the side window.

I'd expect it to stop short of the side window if I was folding it in from the "too far out" position, as the total distance travel would then be too far ?

I'll try moving it manually a few times and then putting it back to the parked position.

Does it go all the way "out" ie if I push it from behind ? I don't want to move it too far and damage it.

Thx for the info

Mat

BTW disconnecting the battery doesn't change anything

Old 12-25-2015, 09:03 AM

HiYa Matt, I've pulled em to bits and know what's in them. I've never tried to repair one where the two ridged plates have been worn down by the repeated grinding down of the soft[ish] alloy teeth, I can't see how they can be repaired it would be cheaper and one heck of a lot quicker to fit a S/H scrappie unit. As AlanC said they are regularly hunted as S/H units and the scrappies know it - hence the premium £70 posted price. Yes it does go all the way to the other extreme [caveat emptor because yours might not - so don't blame me] Best of luck lad

Old 12-25-2015, 03:09 PM

To help you visualise - """two ridged plates""" should read two opposing toothed ridged plates / or / two opposing corrugated ridged plates M8 !

Old 12-26-2015, 04:06 AM

OK great, thx for that. I guess the two ridged plates are similar (but larger) to the type of two part anti vibration cone washers you can get, where the teeth interlock to stop movement.

I can't imagine it's worn out, as the van only has 45000 miles on it and most of that has been motorway miles to the south of France and back. My 2001 had 175,000 and the mirrors were folded thousands of times and never wore out.

I'm going to try manually (gently) moving it back and forth to see what happens. It doesn't do it every time probably about 1 in 5 times.

Mat

Old 12-26-2015, 06:40 AM

OK it looks like manually moving the mirror back & forth has solved that little problem..

However I can see that the glass doesn't seem to be seated correctly at the top part.. I can almost put my finger behind it and pull it forward a little bit. It doesn't seem quite right compared to the RHS unit.

I've also noticed that this side needs to be adjusted sometimes, almost as if it's moved position slightly.

How is the glass attached ? is it easy to remove and check ?

Thx

Mat

Quick Reply: Power Mirrors