Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

POWER SLIDING DOOR

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 AM
Default POWER SLIDING DOOR

Hello,

I have a 2005 T & C (Touring)with power sliding doors. It just went out of warranty about 5 months ago. The passenger side power sliding door now only automatically closes about 3/4ths of the way. It stops before fully closing and must be manually secured. Are there any visible proximity sensors that I can clean or replace? Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Default RE: POWER SLIDING DOOR

The only time I have had what you describe is a broken wire in the wire track along the bottom of the door

Old 08-03-2008, 08:05 PM

Hello,

More info. After looking at the door for a little bit (all I did was lube the guide wheels as the door was slightly difficult to move manually), the power mechanism won't work at all. Also, when the unit was functioning, it would not retract the lock mechanism enough so that the door would shut and latch. WhenI manually tried to close it, it would BANG as the metal tab in the latch hit the stirke plate. If Ipushed the metal tab down, it would easily open further (about 1/4")and the door could then be manually shut.

Now, every time I depress any of the three'open door' buttons, it sounds as if the power door locks are actuating and nothing else happens. Also, when the door is just about shut, the latch mechanismused to engage and pull it home. This no longer happens. Since I'm cocnerned about using the door, I was looking for some advice. Could this be a motor issue, a latch issue or both? Any info would be appreciated....

Thanks,
Bill

Old 08-07-2008, 05:20 AM

Well, I found the problem. There was a broken wire (black) in the flexible tread at the base of the door. I took off the tread (the links release by pushing from the underside) and soldered in a short piece of wire. Hopefully this holds up.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 PM

Did this hold up for you? I am having the same problem with the door only closings 3/4 of the way. Also, when opening,it stops once it gets to the same point.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:21 PM

i got the same thing......black cable broken in the midle simple job to sort out.......................can talk you through it if ya need to
tommy liverpool uk

Old 02-25-2009, 03:24 PM

They have modified the wire track so I would advice replace instead of repair.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Question sicky?

I thought this door issue used to be a "sticky" (along with several other common issues) ... did we lose the stickies in the forum upgrade, or am I just imagining it?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:23 AM
Default Power sliding door

Hello,

Once I could see the broken wire (by removing the flexible track), I just stripped off the insulation and exposed about 1/4 inch of conductor (on each end). Then I soldered in a 2 inch splice. This was done to prevent the strain that previously casued the wire to break. Works like a champ now and only cost 1/2 hour of my time. Use 12 or 14 gage stranded wire to ensure appropriate current carrying capability. I think replacing the whole harness would be a lot more time consuming and expensive.

Bill

Old 03-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

harness is about 100 bucks and takes 20 min to do.

Quick Reply: POWER SLIDING DOOR