Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Gives out momentarily

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM
Default Power Steering Gives out momentarily

My 01 T&C will sometimes lose MOST, not all, of the power steering when making slow speed harder turns and when completely stopped and turning the wheel (like after backing out of a spot and turning the wheels). I am pretty sure it's not losing all the power because you can still turn it, just takes a good bit more effort (as compared to no effort when its working right). I have not noticed ever doing this when making very slight turns, like switching lanes on a highway, nor when going over 15 to 20 mph and making a turn. I have read on numerous sites that there was a TSB on these vans for a power steering hose that was too small. Is this on of the symptoms associated with that TSB and the small hose, or could it be that my power steering pump is going out. Or worse, could my rack and pinion be going. The car leaks no power steering fluid whatsoever. Have driven it at least 1500 miles and the fluid is full and I have spotted no leaks when going under the car for other work.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM

Don't know about the TSB but this sounds like low fluid flow caused by a bad pump or clogged filter. The filter is built into the reservoir. The assembly costs around $30 at the dealer. Are you hearing any odd squealing as you turn the wheel or when you start the van?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM

No noise at all. A shudder sometimes when the steering is hard. It is definitely not low fluid, the thing is filled to the top. From some of the descriptions I read during my search for TSB's it sounds more along the lines of that "undersized hose" on models equipped with the power steering fluid cooler. I was just hoping someone else on this forum had some similar symptoms and had replaced the hose and could confirm for me that is what it was.