Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Default Power Steering Pump

Hey guys I am looking for what I should do. So let me tell ya whats up. I own a 2003 T&C LX with a 3.3L E85 V6 and has about 64000 miles. I bought it used in end of feburary of this year and when I purchased it I paid over 1500 bucks to have the entire van tuned up and be running good for a good long time. Well today my fiance who works at Lithia Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Toyota here in Grand Forks ND had the van looked at because the power steering was acting strange as she put it. well the Service advisor had a tech look at it and said the power steering fluid did not have the right kind in there for the winter months and the pump would need a flush. Well being in feburary i had a tune up and part of that tune up was a power steering flush with new fluid. Now i youst to turn a wrench at a Chevrolet dealership and worked at a autoparts store but I never remember there being a special power steering fluid for winter months. Its regular power steering fluid or the special honda power steering fluid for hondas. well chrysler T&C is not a honda so.....They also said its old fluid thats gumming up so that the other problem.I am pissed at the dealerships service department and well i know most people dont go to dealerships because they are tons more expensive but I have used the dealership because I can get a employee discount on all work and parts. I basically want to walk and have them service my van for free and replace the pump if its totally worn out due to the bad fluid that they were suppose to get rid at the tune up with the power steering flush. So tell what you guys would do... I dont have money since I am a pilot just starting out at the airlines and well the fiance and I have two kids and to make matters worse they are laying off my fiance because Lithia is just not making money here.

-Jason
P.S. she found out they were laying her off the day before her bachlorette party and asked her can you live off your future hubbys pay. Great people.....sarcasim

Old 10-19-2007, 10:49 PM
Default RE: Power Steering Pump

Also they screwed up my 98 Dodge Ram's Airbox and Brakes. That i had to fight to get fixed.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

The fluid in the PS pump is only ATF+4 it should be red like tranny fluid because it is tranny fluid. I have seen pumps go out just because and the rack in pinions leak on them as well.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:49 PM

FWIW, I see there are TSB's for Power Steering issues. I will have to take my '03 Grand Caravan in to have them looked at. One is for steering shudder, which my van has, and the other is for a new bleed procedure. Mine also whines like it's full of air when it is below 40 degrees or so. I am not fond of Dealers, I was a Ford and International tech in a past life so I know first hand how unscrupulous some can be. Hopefully, I won't have a big problem.

Good luck on your van,
Mike

Old 11-03-2007, 09:50 PM

Add a small amount of fiction modifier to you power steering fluid. that will take care of the shudder.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:38 PM

What about the "filter screen" that is part of the plastic power steering reservoir? It could be clogged.

The fix is to change the reservoir. The part is about 30 bucks.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM
moe

i agree with both you guys.the racks always leak on the caravans,also there are a couple tsbs for noise.and the filter can be clogged.but what happened at your dealer was the tech upsold you a power steering flush .techs that don't know how to fix anything always sell the "BG" crap.they get paid for nothing and don't have to do any real work.i hate these theives.i call them bottom feeders. you had the right fluid in there but in order to sell the job he lied about you having the wrong fluid.like i said hate these "JO's" makes good techs at dealerships look bad.moe