Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Replace 2004 Town & Country Power Steering Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Default Replace 2004 Town & Country Power Steering Pump

I have a 2004 Town & Country and 3 or 4 weeks ago, I had to replace the steering rack as it was leaking at one of the seals and was groaning at the power steering pump. It was a do-it-yourself job with a neighbor who is very handy. Vehicle drove fine for 3 weeks or so with no noise and no leakes. Now it is making the groaning noise again and I noticed a power steering fluid leak. Darn neighbor went out of town for several weeks so he can't help. I figured, it is only 3 bolts and a couple hoses, so I can handle this job. I can't figure out how to get access to the bolts. I removed the air filter housing and hose that runs to the engine. I'm left with a rubber A/C hose and some aluminum canister (2 tubes attach to the top) that are both in the way of getting a socket on the bolts. Anybody know the trick? I spent 3 hours screwing with it and can't figure it out.

I removed the fluid and put new ATF+4 in and the noise is gone. Drove it around the neighborhood for 5 or 10 minutes and everything seemed fine. But, I let the vehicle sit for a while and now I have fluid on the garage floor. So I figure the pump is shot, although I can't see the source of the leak. I'm figuring it is on the bottom side and I can't see it because the water pump is in the way.

Thanks,
Russ

Old 10-11-2010, 01:06 PM

The repair manual says to remove the wiper module. I didn't do that originally. Could that be the way to get the extra room needed for accessing the pump?

Russ

Old 10-13-2010, 11:49 AM

Removed the wiper module and that added about 8" of working space. Much easier to get to the power steering pump with that removed. I was able to get the pump out last night.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by rsimonson
Removed the wiper module and that added about 8" of working space. Much easier to get to the power steering pump with that removed. I was able to get the pump out last night.
Hey, I hope you are still out there. I am using instructions from alldata and they refer to the wiper module but do not give instructions to take it out or even a picture of what it is. So if I take off the winshield wipers and the black cover just below does that also remove the padding part below the wiper mechanism? I can see having more room with that removed but it looks like I would have to take off all kinds of crap because it goes the full lenght of the engine compartment. Am I wrong?

also did you have to loosen any air conditioing components, it looks real difficult to get those 3 bolts off, as well as the high pressue line.

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM

I had to pull the water pump to get at the p/s bolts. I used a 1/4 drive to get the bolts out. I could not reach anything from the top. I am assuming the wiper modual is the whole tray that holds the wiper motor and linkage, still would be hard because I have an air conditioning hose running right down the center of the space I had and was fairly rigid. It was not bad once the water pump was out. Mine is a 2001 Auto with Air 3.8l.

My van still has a woobley knock sound at 550 RPM (when in gear standing still) take it out of gear ideling at 800 and above it goes away. Kind of a wruck, wruck, wruck.

I have replaced the Water Pump, P/S pump, Idler and tension pullys.

Anybody know? I have heard it can be the Harmonic balancer or the P/S rack. My balancer seemed tight, changing the rack would suck.

Thanks,

Paul