Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window Problems - Is there some maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Default Power Window Problems - Is there some maintenance

I have replaced the power window motor in my 2001 Town & Country, driver's side getting ready to do it for the 3rd time, and the passenger door twice. Is there some sort of lubrication or maintenance that needs to be done to keep these motors working? Thanks

Old 01-23-2008, 11:10 AM
moe
Default RE: Power Window Problems - Is there some maintenance

you could just keep the side tracks lubed with silicone spray see #3 on picture

Old 01-23-2008, 04:27 PM

I have used silicone oil both in the glass channels and on the rubber door seals at the bottom edge of the window openings. This makes the motors work a LOT easier. If you only use a window occasionally (the passenger side) it could stick, so lubrication is important!

The only warning about using silicone spray is that it COULD attract dirt and require cleaning and re-lubrication periodically (say every year or two).

I do this on all my vehicles with power windows.

PS Here is a how-to on power window repairs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd876iqGdT4

Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 PM

I was able to fix my window motor. Cost 0. Time about 30 minutes - less than what it would take to replace the whole window regulator.
After removing the door panel and lifting the inner liner you will see the window motor and cables bolted to the inside of the door by 3 torx screws (torx 30). Loosen the torx screws enough to remove the two phillips screws that attach the metal housing that contains the armature and magnets from the rest of the device. There are two nuts that slide in small slots. Be sure to watch if they fall out. They can be easily reinserted. The metal housing with the armature attached to the screw portion of the worm drive will now be easy to remove. You will now see two braided copper hoops sticking out from the point where the metal housing came off. These are the problem. They can get caught in the armature. Push them back away from the brushes and where the armature spins. Now take the armature and screw drive out from the magnets and housing. Put the screw portion of the motor back into the worm gear and turn a few times so that it screws in. The metal housing with the magnets will now slide right back on. Tighten the two phillips screws. Tighten the torx screws (you may need to reach behind to the rubber portion they screw into to keep it from turning). Put the panel back on - don't forget to reconnect the electrical connections and door handle. Now you are done. Oh, by the way, the phillips screws are on tight - I used a vise-grip to loosen them.[/align][/align]

Old 01-27-2008, 06:45 PM

Always wondered about the above.
Thanks to everyone for their replies and
to LT102 for the original question.

overthehill.