Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Default Random no start

99 T&C 3.8
Got the van 2 weeks ago.One week into it, I went to work, drove normal.
End of work day, I go to start...just barely turns over & cuts off. No chugging, or anything. Just stalls.
Second try....same thing. Third try...nothing. No clicking, nonothing. Waited and waited...no start. Towed to garage.
Van spent 3 days hookedup to load testing, etc at garage. They dont know what the problem is.
It started up fine..andaway I went.
Yesterday drove the car 15 minutes up to shopping plaza. Parked. In the store 20 minutes....came out. Same thing..a total repeat.Waited and waited, nothing. Brother came to my rescue and we did a parking lot starter replacement. Did a few other small things that needed doing...a couple of hoses...unrelated stuff.
Couldn't get her going after letting her sit, so she spent the night in the parking lot.
Got there later today after work...she started right up !!
Runs great.....we checked a few more things after picking up manual on our way over.
Weird...and very frustrating. Seems to need to sit overnight.
But this randomness is leaving me stranded all over the city.
Any ideas ?
New starter.Not the alternator. Not the battery. Lights and full power when disabled like this.
Just dead. No fire.
HELP !!!

Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Random no start

does the cluster not work when this issue is taking place?

Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH

does the cluster not work when this issue is taking place?
Lights, windows, stereo all work full power. What doesn't light up is the odometer and PRND etc
I have read elsewhere that sometimes this issue comes along with intermittant loss of dash lights, etc while driving. This does not happen.
Car drives great otherwise.
What's frustrating is that there is no prelude to the problem. It just happens..POOF !!
Goes to start, twice, turns over and just shuts down....3rd time IS NOT a charm. 3rd time is death !!
Not a peep...except for the faint sounds coming from the relay/fuse box.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like a cluster ckt board issue I am replacing one at work as we speak.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: CHRYSLER TECH

sounds like a cluster ckt board issue I am replacing one at work as we speak.
Is this a prelude to more weird problems to come with this vehicle ?
How muchdoes the cluster fix cost ?
Do you know if in fact this fix has solved the problem across the board for those who have reported this same issue ?
Curious tolearn more about this problem and connect with others who have fixed it for good.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:33 PM

Okay, so it was hot today...really hot. Just like it was both times I was left stranded with the van.
Except this time I took all the information I have read about this problem, and put it into action.
First off, I turned the key to on, to see if the odometer and PRND3L would light up. They did not. I turned the key back to off and after waiting a few seconds I gave the dash a good whack !! Turned the key to on, and discovered I had lights on the odometer and PRND3L. I went ahead and turned the car on and it cranked right up.
The car was fine over the weekend. It was also cooler and parked in my driveway under a tree. Everytime I went out, it started and got me back home again. In the parking lot at work it sits in the blazing sun all day. My car is excrutiatingly hot to get into on days like today. I believe this may play a part in the problem with, what I now believe is the cluster in the dash. Everything others have discovered rang true for me today.
So, now what I need to know is...what do I do about it ? How much will it cost to replace this ?

Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 PM

Call this #1-866-427-1112 ask for Carey he'll send you a cluster for about 245.00 in two days 1 yr warrenty. Just tell him what yr van & let him talk. good luck (u can replace in about 2 hrs)

Old 11-14-2007, 07:34 PM

My 1999 300M has a random no start problem with its 3.5. After running for 20-30 minutes and then sitting 30-40 minutes its very hard to start, almost like a vapor lock. I've had the computer re-flashed and follow the service bulletin regarding no fuel with alcohol or alcohol based additives. Help!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2007, 03:12 AM
Old 11-15-2007, 03:14 AM

Quick Reply: Random no start