Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Default RE: Random no start

Any Updates? Got a2000 T & C; 3.8L, Auto, A/C, etc. thatseems to be doing the same thing. Just randomly won't start. Replaced the battery, and this seemed to help quite a bit. Has only done it twice since the battery replacement (about six weeks ago).

Heard about the BCM as a possible cause, but this is the first on this cluster. Any idea what in particular with the cluster is causing this?

Thanks!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:31 PM

I have a 1995 Grand Voyager which shows similar syntoms to those discussed. In the past two weeks we have experienced the following:

No start; cranking of engine was good; had battery checked and replaced as it would charge but when loaded it would immediately drain the power. Drove car 2-3 days, no start; after sitting over night it started right up. Back to service station, ran test(s), suspected the crank sensor. Replaced the crank sensor; drove the car three days, no start. Monday night (1217/07) at 10:00pm with a handicapped person, car would not start. The next morning it started right away. Mechanic said that unless they could see the problem they would be shooting in the dark. I agree. Car ran fine until this morning (12/21/07) when I tried to start it before going to work. Would not start; son tried around 11:00am, would not start; tried at 1:00pm, would not start; tried again around 2:00pm, would not start. Had vehicle towed to service station where, thankfully, it would not start.

The mechanic checked to see if the engine had spark, very good; tried spraying ether in the neck of the air filter to see if it would start, would not.

As with many of you I have a very upset wife at this point.

A neighbor steered me to this site, via his son. Spoke with his son and found that he had a year long problem similar to mine, but different.

Any suggestions or recommendations. My mechanic says that anything he can get on the subject would be of help.

Thanks for any responses.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:34 PM

I just posted reply number 12 to this site but forgot to mention that the gas economy has dropped from 18-20 mpg to 12 - 12.5 mpg. Don't know if there is a relationship to something here or not.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Update:

2000 Chrysler T and C
110,000 miles
3.8L, Auto
LXi model

The random no start condition has not reoccurred for quite some time. Now the situation has changed somewhat; the vehicle randomly starts surging and almost stalls. Here are the conditions:

Idle;(750 to 1000 RPM), engine warm or moderately warm - When placed in gear rpm's swing by up to 400 rpm both ways. Engine almost stalls, then races. Timing swings from 7 degrees to 23 degrees.

Getting onto the on ramp the other day, after a moderate amount of time for engine cool down (approx 30 minutes from normal operation temp) the engine had intake backfire two or three times, then ran fine.

90 Percent of the time, it runs fine. Other times, does this randomly. Using an Actron scanner and looking at rpms and spark advance PID's is where my info comes from. Need a better scanner, the frame rates are too slow....

Shows no codes in the Actron Scanner, set or pending....

My thoughtsare:fuel pump, crank/camsensor, ECM.

Since the problem is intermittent, this would seem to rule out the plugs, wires,fuel filter, and vacuum leaks. Might be the EGR though, but it seems odd this would occur randomly at idle conditons. Idle air controller would throw a code.....

Pump might be intermittent, but I have no TSB's that show failure occurring at this mileage. Will check with an installed gauge, but it's hard to get the vehicle for that long....

Any thoughts?

Fred

Old 12-31-2007, 12:44 PM

Did you try resoldering the cluster connector? There's a very long thread on another forum I frequent where many people with 96-00 state that they fixed this problem by resoldering.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:37 PM

Rick 99: Are you referring to the random no start or my latest problem. I'm going to post a new thread to not hijack this one.....