Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear crankshaft oilseal and clutch! apart from that looks like a great buy!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Angry

thanks merlin, sorry for late reply, I am going back to him tomorrow. clutch still playing up and car still leaking oil. mechanics reasons/excuses are starting to sound feeble, i think he was just trying to delay the inevitable. anyway i agree seal should be changed ( what about the smaller o ring that he admitted he just about found and replaced, would that need to be changed as well?) i can see him saying there's no need to replace seal and the smaller o ring, thus not having to pay for a new seal and o ring from chrysler at £65. is it possible to get rear housing/bearing off without damaging seal and smaller o ring or would he be trying to pull a fast one on me by telling me they will not be affected. also clutch will prob. need replacing and he admitted as much after a bit of pressure, although he blamed faulty product and not his workmanship, but have also been advised by more knowledgable heads than me that it could be that flywheel needs "smoothing out/ light sanding" ?? or there could be oil grease on clutch. again, apart from your reason of defective clutch is there any other genuine possible reasons he could give or will he try and blag me again. i just want as much information as possible so i can get him to sort out his mess as quickly as possible minus the B.S!! thanx merlin!

Old 02-22-2009, 04:12 AM

Hi
Flywheel should be ok if you didn't have judder before. Clutch could have oil on that could give you this judder but I also suspect the clutch to be faulty. He could save the seal but I advice replacement just to save taking it apart again. do make sure he lines up the oil way when refitting or you will have no oil to the rear bearing and pulls it off nice and easy / even as to not crack the oil way in the housing. I think this post is a + for paying a bit more for a dealer to do it.
Best of luck hope it all goes well.
Regards,
Merlin

Old 02-22-2009, 05:36 AM

cheers merlin, yeah you're right, the dealer don't seem that expensive at this moment in time. lets get through this and i'll look out for a chrysler experienced mechanic next time( anyone know of any in the bolton/ manchester area?) or do loadsa overtime and let main dealer handle future repairs. sorry for asking stupid questions but can you explain a bit more the part when you say "do make sure he lines up the oil way when refitting or you will have no oil to the rear bearing.." once again sorry for da trouble n thanx for your help. fingers crossed!

Old 02-22-2009, 06:45 AM

Hi
when he pulls the rear hosing off if he looks he will see the oil way that feeds the rear main bearing make sure he lines that up. You put two bolts in and wind them in to pull the rear housing off make sure he uses the bolts and don't use any levers instead.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:23 PM

can the sump be removed in place to check the main bearing thrust washers on
2001 grand voyager 2.5 crv any help please madibaxter

Old 07-26-2010, 05:19 PM

the sump can be removed inplace, what is the issue you have?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:27 AM

Good morning Merlin, thank you very much for your response which is appreciated. We have a 2001 Voyager CRD, 90,000 miles which, for some time has been losing oil and has run very, very low several times, low enough to blow the turbo unit, which we have now replaced with a brand new one. We replaced the 3 rear main oil seals. Upon stripping to replace the seals we found that the end float thrust washers on the rear main bearing housing were very badly worn. It showed no signs of wear on the main bearing shell. We replaced the main bearing housing with a new one. We reassembled it and after road testing there was still a steady drip of oil from the rear main area but, on first starting the vehicle up there was no leak. We would assume that the main bearing thrust washer was worn very badly (the main bearing end cap behind the fly wheel has been replaced with a new one), and therefore the crank shaft moved when the clutch was pressed through excessive end float movement. We want to remove the sump to remove the centre main bearing caps to see if the thrust washers are excessively worn. Can this be done in situ? Are we on the right track to cure this oil leak?
Kind regards
Madibaxter

Old 07-27-2010, 04:41 AM

PS Merlin are there any engine breathers that can cause this problem that need to be replaced or are usualy replaced on a service?
once again many thanks Madibaxter

Old 07-27-2010, 02:19 PM

These a balance shaft and oil pump that I think will be in the way. Sorry long time since stripped one that much.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:09 PM

hi many thanks
best regaurds madibaxter