Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Recirculation door motor wont stop trying to shut the door

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Default Recirculation door motor wont stop trying to shut the door

My 2004 T/C van, without auto temp control, has developed a problem where the recirculation motor which controls the recirculating HVA/C door, located just under the blower is running longer than it should while trying to shut the recirculation door. What happens is where the door joints with the motor will pop as it jumps coggs because the door cant shut any further until the motor decides to stop. It doesnt do it while opening the recirculation door but only while it closes it. I opened the recirculation motor looking to see if there was any travel limiting switch, but nothing. It seems that something else is telling the motor how long to run to assure proper open and shut distances for the recirculation door. Anyone else experience this?

Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 PM

The motors "Limit" is determined by "Current Draw". When the motor "JAMS" at the end of its travel, the current spikes are used to signal the controller to cease operation.

If the motor continues to run after the door has reached its end.....Either the door pivot is broken, or the motor needs replacement.

Is this GAsoline or Diesel???? A stuck recirc door in the winter with a diesel is very dangerous.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:43 PM

Thanks. But two things still confuse me..... I tried to stop the recirc motor to see if resistance was the key but it just kept on pushing, and also, it ONLY does this in one direction. I've even removed the motor and reversed polarity only to have it do the same thing but in the opposite direction. So with that, I can only guess that its not the motor but something else telling the motor to continue turning.
Lastly, its a gas engine but I'm not sure why you showed concern because it shouldn't matter what engine I have since the vent recirculation would never pull from anywhere near exhaust gases. Unless I'm not understanding your point.