Chrysler 200 & Sebring Whether it be the sedan, coupe, or convertible, this mid-sized model offers a touch of class to every style in it's lineup

Wipers won't shut off - won't stop in park position

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Default Wipers won't shut off - won't stop in park position

My wipers will not stop in the park position. They continue to run when in the intermittent position on the wiper control switch stem. When I move the switch to the off position the wipers stop dead in their tracks. I can slowly step them down to the bottom of the windshield by repeatedly turning the switch on and then immediately off. The wipers do not park after the delay turns them on. They rotate intermittently from four cycles to never shutting off. There must be something wrong with the park position sensor assembly.

I removed the wiper arms with a two-jaw puller, removed the wiper grill, removed the two bolts holding the wiper assembly and took out the wiper assembly. I took of the star bolts holding the cover of the wiper gears. Lo and behold, the points that follow the metal disk were corroded and the metal disk was pitted and corroded. The small tab that dictates the very bottom of the wipers on the windshield - the park position tab - was also corroded. I cleaned the points and cleaned the disk with sandpaper.

Problem solved in one hour. A new motor is always recommended for this problem. Save yourself $200 for a new motor assembly and two hours of shop time.

I have photos of the corroded assembly and disk. I will try to post....

Old 05-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Old 05-12-2014, 08:42 AM

Good write-up. If you can get photo-posting privileges here, it would be great to create a photo album about this repair and post it up in an album rather than on a thread here. The threads tend to get buried with time.