Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the main body wiring harness! What's this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Default Replacing the main body wiring harness! What's this?

Wow! What a big job I've gotten myself into!

What is the little black box for right here?

I replaced the wiring harness in my van, and the new harness I used did not have any connectors for this box in it??

So far I have traced all the wires involved in these two connectors. I have started to remove them from the old harness. I made tools, and pulled all the terminals of needed wires from the wire connectors. I have them all marked, and I see open spots on the new harness for them. So I should be able to add the harness on no problem. I would just like to know what the box/module actually is for.

Here is an example on the rear hatch connector. The harness is installed. The old harness is being held up to it. You can see the difference in wires between them. They both share some wires...like the Blue and white, and Brown and gray

Here's the story:

We lost our inner driver's side wheel well and the dirt/salt ate up some wiring which allowed a small fire to start on the wiring that's inside the drivers side wheel well.

With no choice but to replace it, I started tracing it through the van. This harness goes for miles!! I removed the the harness, and went to a local junkyard. I found the exact same 2001 Chrysler Town and Country with the same options: side airbags, infinity sounds, power sliding doors, and rear heat.
I pulled that harness out! Wow, BTW our junkyards our snowed over. the snow was up to the windows on all of them. The one I found had the rear hatch removed, so snow drifted in the whole thing! But that's another story....lol

Here is the van gutted:

Here's the old harness I removed from the van!!

Old 02-13-2011, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

the box is for your power lift gate module

Old 02-14-2011, 07:05 AM

So did some of these vans come with power sliding doors, and not a power rear gate? I ask because the van I removed this from had power sliding doors. The rear gate was removed so I didn't know for sure if it had a power rear gate, but I assumed it did.

I might not go through the trouble of installed the extra wires. The rear gate never worked right anyways.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

if u have that module and that big motor next to it its power lift gate