Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Reset oil light before it activates?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:06 AM
Default Reset oil light before it activates?

I have a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country. I purchased it used and I couldn't guarantee its last oil change. I checked it and it looked good and full so I didn't change it immediately.

5,000 miles later, at 25,000 miles, I got nervous waiting for the oil change reminder light to go on and decided to change it myself. Is there a way to reset the reminder before it turns on? I would like to get my oil changes and the indicator on the same page. I fear if I wait another 1k to 1.5k miles, and reset it, I will go long on my next change. Any ideas?

Old 12-14-2015, 08:50 AM

This information can be found on page 322 in your owner's manual:

To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), perform the following steps.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the engine, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat these steps.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ChryslerCares
This information can be found on page 322 in your owner's manual:

To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), perform the following steps.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.

NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you start the engine, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat these steps.
Why, thank you for copy and pasting the owners manual for me. But that's not what I asked.

I am asking if this procedure still resets the system if the light is not on yet....

Old 12-15-2015, 06:14 PM

First to answer your new question:

Originally Posted by Dspud
...I am asking if this procedure still resets the system if the light is not on yet....
Yes, that procedure will reset the system whether the light is on or not.

Unfortunately you can't tell for sure if you performed the procedure correctly, so you may want to repeat it several times.

As to your response to ChryslerCares, who is a very helpful poster here, and does not deserve your snide remark:

Why, thank you for copy and pasting the owners manual for me. But that's not what I asked.

I am asking if this procedure still resets the system if the light is not on yet....
No that is not what you asked!! You gave no indication that you knew how to reset the system at all.

I have a 2014 Chrysler Town and Country. I purchased it used and I couldn't guarantee its last oil change. I checked it and it looked good and full so I didn't change it immediately.

5,000 miles later, at 25,000 miles, I got nervous waiting for the oil change reminder light to go on and decided to change it myself. Is there a way to reset the reminder before it turns on? I would like to get my oil changes and the indicator on the same page. I fear if I wait another 1k to 1.5k miles, and reset it, I will go long on my next change. Any ideas?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:18 PM

First of all, thank you for answering my question. I do appreciate it and plan on going to reset it after I type this post out.

Second, you comment about my "snide" remark to the original responder was a result of that ChryslerCare's "snide" remark in the first line of his comment informing me what page this information could be found in the owners manual. Generally comments like that are made when someone is attempting to point out that the question you are posting is unnecessary if you would have just done a little research on your own. I researched more than I probably care to admit before signing up for this forum and asking.

Third, yes, it is exactly what I asked in the original post. The two parts of my posts that you highlighted say essentially the same thing two different ways. I asked if there was a way to reset BEFORE THE LIGHT TURNED ON. Neither the owners manual nor any documentation from Chrysler addresses this.

Anyway, thank you for your response. and now this entire conversation is able to be googled forever more for other owners to read when this question arises. Thank you.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:12 PM

First of all, thank you for answering my question. I do appreciate it and plan on going to reset it after I type this post out.
You're very welcome.

Second, you comment about my "snide" remark to the original responder was a result of that "snide" remark in the first line of his comment informing me what page this information could be found in the owners manual...
I can't speak for ChryslerCares, and I realize she didn't fully answer your question, but I do not believe she meant any harm. I often post page numbers and quotes from the owners manual when responding to questions, I do not do it to be snide, I do it trying to be helpful, because I know how difficult it can be to find specific items in a manual that is around 700 pages long (especially if you don't have the searchable .pdf file).

Generally comments like that are made when someone is attempting to point out that the question you are posting is unnecessary if you would have just done a little research on your own...
I have seen that in other forums, but it's usually more like: "Why don't you read the ******* manual". That doesn't seem to be common on this forum.

Last edited by georgef; 12-16-2015 at 08:04 AM. Reason: change from "he/she" to "she" since her name is Erica.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:15 PM

Good to hear. If I mistook the comment, I apologize. Thanks for the help, both of you.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:11 AM

I am sorry if there was any confusion. I was genuinely only trying to help. I hope you don't hesitate to reach out in the future if you ever have any questions or concerns. This forum is a great community to be a part of.