Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That sad day has finally arived

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 01:45 PM
Default That sad day has finally arived

Well after years of faithful service its time to think about a replacement vehicle for my old GV.

I had an issue with the LPG earlier this year and then a bigger one with a garage that was meant to be repairing it. Long story, but they went out of business while they had the van, put close to 400 miles on the clock and managed to crack the windshield. Oh and didn't repair the LPG, Hmmm nuff said! Now it appears she's got a head gasket on the way out; I had surgery recently so not up to doing it myself and it's just not worth paying to have it done. So, I think after Christmas I'll be moving on.

So not sure if it will be another GV or something else because as usual with these thing, timing sucks LOL! So just have to wait and see, but either way, I'll be sad to see her go!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:51 PM

So sad and so frustrating. Obviously, as we all know, you won't find anything else that can carry 7 people and their luggage, or 10 sheets of 8' x 4' plasterboard.
Good Luck with whatever decision you make, I hope you can find something to suit your budget.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:30 PM

Here I'm needing some plasterboard at the moment but usually get it delivered but it does fit in. BUT, Voyager sitting lonely in a corner at the moment as It's needing MOT work and I'm not up to doing it at mo. So, bought a cheap Panda, no don't laugh, she cries, for the duration into next summer. It's a Diesel though and likes to move, quickly, with help of my foot.
Regarding your replacement there's loads for sale, especially garages wanting to offload 2.8CRD Auto's with all the toys for around £2400, and that's 2006/07 models too..
Mind you there is gold digger garages wanting £4000-£6000 for same cars.

Last edited by goggs; 12-18-2017 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Christmas next week.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:35 PM

Honestly I'm not sure, I was hoping that I'd be able to keep her going until the MOT, Tax and Insurance ran out in May but thats looking doubtful now.

See I am hoping to have enough money to go back to the US towards the end of May. Long story short I had to sell up a few years back and return to England after having issues with care homes here, my dad is 88 and we have no other family so ya know, you have to do whats right and all.

Anyway, had to sell my baby; my 97 F350 7.3 powerstroke dually.

So have been saving up for another ever since. Hopping to have enough this summer as I know of one that may be coming up for sale and I'm like dying over it, so whatever I buy here will probably be very cheap.

This is the one I have my eye on. Its a 95 7.3 Powerstroke withe Centurion conversion, so leather heated seats and all that. But will have to see how thing play out.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:48 PM

Well Errrrrrr certainly get 8 x 4 sheets in that load deck alone...But what's the MPG...

Old 12-24-2017, 03:13 AM

You'll never fit that in the car park at Tesco!

Old 12-25-2017, 01:31 PM

Vonhofinvule, no GV owner is ever happy to know another fellow traveller is in trouble, as in yourself Goggsy Andy et-al. Sorry to hear it M8 and best of luck for your future.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by goggs
Well Errrrrrr certainly get 8 x 4 sheets in that load deck alone...But what's the MPG...
Not as bad as you'd think though I was running a few upgrades which did improve things. In stock form I'd see around 12 city and 15ish highway, (US Gallons) but after the mods, Big Dog Ford Turbo, Banks Intercooler, 4 inch turbo back straight through exhaust and SCT Performance tuner with custom tunes, I was seeing around 14 city and around 23 highway, That's close to 27 Imperial which was rather good.

Although with over 500 Ibs feet of torque once you hit 5th you could basically just sit in that gear until you had to stop yet still able to take off like a scalded cat.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by AlanC
You'll never fit that in the car park at Tesco!
hahaha Well its would be a tight fit, lol but I could work with it! Ironically though it was a friend of a friend here in the UK that got me into them. Back in 2000 a friend and I started dealing in classic and vintage car parts at the various autojumbles and car shows around the UK.

While doing this I met a friend of his at one of the shows, he was into the military scene and had imported a 96 F350 dually to haul some of his vehicles around. Shortly after that I did some work for him down at his place near Exeter, some light restoration on a WWII Jeep and Half Track and he loaned me the dually to haul stuff around and I just blown away by it. So easy to drive, even in the middle of Exeter, LOL!

Old 12-27-2017, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by QinteQ
Vonhofinvule, no GV owner is ever happy to know another fellow traveller is in trouble, as in yourself Goggsy Andy et-al. Sorry to hear it M8 and best of luck for your future.
Thank you, sad part is, by themselves the issues I'm having are relatively small however, combined the cost of dealing with them far exceeds the cost of replacing the old gal! Although I have just tried some of that head gasket sealer. Normally I wouldn't go near that stuff but for now I'll be happy if I could eak out a couple of more months.

Quick Reply: That sad day has finally arived