Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shift Interlock malfunction 2010 T&Country

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Default Shift Interlock malfunction 2010 T&Country

I was unable to move the shifter out of park on a 2010 T&C two days ago. Google led me to the manual release for the brake interlock and it worked for a few times. It now refuses to release when pressed. I can get it out of park by pressing the brake & the manual release tab, then giving the shifter a hard pull to force it- obviously not a good deal but I had to do this to get my wife home yesterday.

I assume that I will need to replace the shifter mechanism. I found a great explanation on gaining access at 2008-2014 Chrysler and Dodge minivan shifter fix / repair but I am having trouble locating the shifter part number on-line.

Does replacing the shifter mechanism sound like the appropriate fix? Does anyone know the correct name or p/n for this item that might let me locate on-line before I head to the dealer with a blank check? This seems to be a huge issue on the floor mounted shifters in the 300, Pacifica, and others but I'm not having much luck finding info on the T&C/Caravan vehicles.

I don't mind tackling the job myself as long as I have the correct replacement part in hand and feel sure that it will fix the problem.

Many thanks in advance
Greg

Old 06-08-2015, 01:47 PM

Still looking for some help on this. I went ahead and replaced the shifter in this vehicle ($200 part), thinking that just had to be the issue. It wasn't. I can start the car, place foot on brake and try to shift out of park. Still stuck in park. The manual over ride does work (now that the new shifter is in). If I understand correctly, there is a solenoid in the shifter that has to be activated (or de-activated) by pressing the brake pedal before allowing it to shift out of park and that the electrical for this is supplied by the same circuit that operates the brake lights (brake lights are working).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, I'd sure appreciate the help on this one.

Thanks
Greg