Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter lever for automatic transmission sloppy

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM
Default Shifter lever for automatic transmission sloppy

Any way to confirm problem before beginning?

I have a shifter lever that is kind of sloppy in the steering column. I can't tell for sure what the problem is my guess is its the cable needing to be adjusted on the trans shifter, the cable has to much play, or the shifter spring and lever are just wore out.

It shifts fine and the position for the P R N D 3 L is correct in regards to the shifter lever location and the dash light for each transmission position is correct.

The shifter is moving back and forth to easily and it seem loose when it is in the proper transmission position.

I think it is the shifter but I wanted to confirm before I do anything to fix it. My first guess was to reset the trans shifter cable which is not difficult but I didn't want to do that if its not the problem. Then if that didn't work I was going to replace the shifter. The cable seems like it may have a bit of looseness but because the problem seems more in the spring on the shifter when you pull it to move to the next position also when in neutral and drive you can slide it back and forth fine for each gear but the handle just seems sloppy thats why I'm leaning toward replacing the handle but I have no way to rule out the cable or position of shifter on the trans. I think its the shifter can anyone confirm or give proper procedure for solution to problem.