Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sometimes it just won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Default Sometimes it just won't start

My wife has a 03 voyager and lately it's taken to just not starting.

It can be anytime and just not repeatable.

Symptoms: ign on, fuel pumps pumps, glow plug light out but engine just cranks over. Sometime leaving it for 5 mins will allow it to start other times its overnight. It can happen twice a day or once in 2-3 weeks.

The cars been into the local indie garage and had a battery and crank sensor change and also a fuel filter change.

It's driving us nuts so all help appreciated.

Grant

Old 05-10-2013, 11:27 AM
tfb

any fault codes stored?

Regards
Richard

Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Default Sometimes not Starting

Hi, Sounds like a Fuel pressure issue. I take it when it does start it runs ok and doesn't cut out. Cutting out being another related problem.
Garage have usual idea of Filter but not filter unit, as in letting in air that keeps coming up.
Crank sensor but not Camshaft sensor, but engine runs ok when it starts. And the dreaded Battery, that some guys on here recon this engine needs a more powerfull Battery, ah but new one still doesn't start it.
Ecu is not energising injectors to start for a reason.
Unless its a key issue. You got more than one key !
Goggs

Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Gazpilot
My wife has a 03 voyager and lately it's taken to just not starting.

It can be anytime and just not repeatable.

Symptoms: ign on, fuel pumps pumps, glow plug light out but engine just cranks over. Sometime leaving it for 5 mins will allow it to start other times its overnight. It can happen twice a day or once in 2-3 weeks.

It's driving us nuts so all help appreciated.

Grant
Hi
maybe nothing connected to your starting issue------but-------our '05 has these stroppy moments-----------I have found that if it doesn't start straight-away----turn the key off---watch the speedo (or tacho ???) needle until it drops onto it's stop, only 2-3 mm------then crank it over------99% chance it will fire-up straight away
I think it is the immobilizer playing up------but unless it just refuses to go I will leave it alone

Good luck
Nigel & Pamala

Old 05-11-2013, 08:25 AM

Thanks for the replays guys,

No error codes are logged. I'm using very limited software on my ipad so if anyone can suggest a more chrysler specific software that would be great.

I tried the software on my other car and the speed and rpm were spot, on the chrysler the speed was stuck at 158mph and the rpm was registering 1000 rpm low (guessing at software error).

Well it happened again today. Car started fine, drove 10 miles into town and spent 40 mins shopping. The car wouldn't start and just cranked. Went to grab a paper, no more than 5 mins and tried again...... Fired straight up with still no codes showing.

Grant

Old 05-17-2013, 12:21 PM

So it happened again today, drove 5 miles stopped and had lunch. Car started straight away, drove 1/2 mile to some shops no more than 15 mins browsing. On returning to the car it just cranked over, no error codes, tried 4-5 times to start it with no joy.

We locked the car up and had a quick look round a DIY store then went back to the car. The bloody thing started first attempt. I'm thinking fuel system or immobiliser issues.

Grant

Old 05-17-2013, 12:27 PM
Default Hi!

I've had a similar symptoms but mine was the camshaft sensor! I'm about to replace that so then mine problem will go away! Try to disconnect the sensor when its running! If the sensor good then it should run roughly, if its the cause then it will runs same as when it connected! Hope that helps! Frank

Old 05-17-2013, 12:29 PM

Thanks Frank ill give that a try.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:31 AM
tfb

I would bet on an immobiliser/security issue. Fault codes will be logged if that is the case.

I can read fault codes, whereabouts are you?

Regards

Richard

Old 05-23-2013, 03:09 AM

Hi Richard,

I'm on the east coast, sunny Ipswich. I have thought it could be an immobiliser issue but the software I have doesn't show any codes. As I said earlier the only software I have is ipad/iphone based and is pretty limited so may have to have a trip to the local garage.

Grant

Quick Reply: Sometimes it just won't start