Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting/Stalling Problems+some other

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 04:31 AM
Default RE: Starting/Stalling Problems+some other

Ok, my dad is now on his way to the chrysler dealer to get a newAIS Motor, after having the take the dam car up there and show them what part it was, is there anything special which i need to know about fitting it, I remember you saying you have to unplug the battery for 10 mins, will i still be able to use the car and will my keys still be in sync with the ECU?

Old 05-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

no the keys will not need to be re programed unless u replace the WCM or ECU it self.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 AM

Ok we changed the AIS Motor last night and it worked, i also took the car out last night for a blast and it was perfect, but, this morning on my way to work started the car as normal, and put it in D, Stall ..... tried again.... Stall and again Stall.... tried a 4th time and it was fine, I'm now at a loss... any further ideas..

Also I have now noticed that sometimes it wont engage the gear, But checking my Trans oil after changing the AIS motor, we noticed no marking on it...

So would that cause problems... should i drive it home after work in 3 so it doesnt need to change gear?

Old 05-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

my orginal post back on the 7h asked to check the tranny fluid level read the owners manual if there are no instructions on the dip stick for when to check the level. I would say check the level in nutural HOT check both sides of the dip stick for instructions

Old 05-16-2007, 03:45 PM

Yeah on the dopstick it says to put it in park.. Am i right in assuming that if there is nothing showing up when the engine is hot then there is a problem? it wasnt until the engine started to cool down again that we started to get a reading on the cool marking on the dipstick.

Anyhow we are going to change the oil next weekend, and the engine oil also.

I just want a car that works.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 AM

Ok this might be a stupid thing to ask ( i'm good at asking stupid questions)

Having changed my AIS motor, and still having the problem, the only thing i can think of that we did not do as you put in your first reply, i did not dissconect the battery, would this cause the ECU to think that the old motor was still plugged in? causing it to use the same perameteres to try and keep it going ?

The reason i say this is when i'm driving it, it's much better than it was.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

so the first issue with the stalling out is gone??? if yes then dont worry about it and drive for awhile and it will relearn on its own. With undoing the batt it will be forced to start over from factory defaults.
I would say with your tranny u have a leak some where it will be red in color. U can fill it up in park and dont over fill it though. Check it again once driven for awhile and see if u have aleak visable.

Old 05-18-2007, 03:27 PM

Yes the orginal problem still remians, if my understanding is correct would the factory settings be better to start with ? I have not looked to see what position the plunger is actualy in, but yes the problem is there in that it starts and runs fine, then as soon as you put it in gear R or D it stalls.

I dont think the car has been servies in about 4 years, evidence of that was when we changed the air filter, and it was black with oil on it. so I can only assume nothing has been done with it since the last service I have been able to trace.

There is also some kind of oil leakage as on the last MOT an advisory notice was issued about heave oil leakage from the gearbox and engine, but when we first look at the engine we notice the front rocker cover was loose, at least 1 full turn on most of them, i have been unable to reasch the other one, also i can guess the sparky's have not been changed in 4 years either..

bascialy I cant afford to take it to my dealer, altho it maybe the better option for some of it, as they know what's what with them, or should do, but i would also like to learn how to do these things myself.

so would it be best to drain the engine oil, and the tranny fluid, and start over with clean fresh stuff, if so, is there anything i can flush throu it to clean the carbon and rubbish left in the engine...?

also any other tips on the stalling issue would be great,

Old 05-18-2007, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

I think the stalling issue is the tranny then. Have u added fluid to see if it goes away? then u can look for a leak which there is based on what u said there is no fluid on the stick. U cant flush the tranny with out a machine to swap the fluid out. U can lift the car up take the tranny pan off then replace the filter and seal it back up with black RTV. Add fluid about 5 qts but if u are low u may need more.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:20 AM

what is 5 qts ? not familiar with that measurment.

Quick Reply: Starting/Stalling Problems+some other