Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Steering Vibration 2005 T&C

Old 12-19-2018, 11:53 AM
Default Steering Vibration 2005 T&C

Vehicle: 2005 Town & Country.

Problem: Vibration in steering wheel while stopped. The vibration increases when I turn the steering wheel left or right. The vibration varies in intensity from day to day, sometimes minute to minute.

Steps taken: Replaced the power steering pump with new (not rebuilt) Cardone, replaced PS reservoir, added new PS cooler kit from Hayward Automotive, changed ATF-4 fluid so the system is spotless.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the power steering rack (steering gear). My trusted mechanic friend told me not to do it because he didn't think that was the problem.

Has anyone had this problem and fixed it? What did you do?

Old 12-19-2018, 01:25 PM

It could be bad motor mounts.
Have you had someone hold the brakes on with it is in gear and the hood up to see how the engine reacts?
If the engine shakes a lot more, it would not be any of the things that you previously tried, but a bad motor mount could.
Also, run some seafoam or lucas fuel system cleaner through the car, it could simply be dirt in the engine, causing the engine to vibrate more while in gear.

Last edited by BiliTheAxe; 12-19-2018 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by BiliTheAxe View Post
It could be bad motor mounts.
Have you had someone hold the brakes on with it is in gear and the hood up to see how the engine reacts?
If the engine shakes a lot more, it would not be any of the things that you previously tried, but a bad motor mount could.
Also, run some seafoam or lucas fuel system cleaner through the car, it could simply be dirt in the engine, causing the engine to vibrate more while in gear.
That's what I thought too but I had the dealer check the motor mounts and they are fine. The engine is spotless. When you take off the serpentine belt there is no vibration. It's definitely coming from the steering system.