Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

surging, stuttering, and dying...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

P0888-RELAY OUTPUT ALWAYS OFF
P0725-ENGINE SPEED SENSOR CIRCUIT

P0888-RELAY OUTPUT ALWAYS OFF
When Monitored: Continuously
Set Condition: This DTC is set when less than 3 volts are present at the Transmission
Control Relay output circuits at the Transmission Control Module (TCM) when the TCM
is energizing the relay. Note: Due to the integration of the Powertrain and Transmission
Control Modules, the transmission part of the PCM has its own specific power and ground
circuits.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY GROUND CIRCUIT OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY STUCK OPEN
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
TRANSMISSION CONTROL RELAY OUTPUT CIRCUIT SHORT TO GROUND
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
INTERMITTENT WIRING AND CONNECTORS

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 PM

in the process now of cleaning battery terminals/posts, grounds, and looking at wire harnesses for chafing and damage. havent really seen anything that jumps out at me yet, but im just now getting dirty... i see 3 different sensors on the tranny now that i have the battery and pan out of the way, but i dont know which ones are which. there is one on the front/right side of the tranny as you look at it from the front of the vehicle, one on the front/middle, and kind of towards the back side/top/left side. how can i tell which ones are which? is there a parts breakdown anywhere i can look at?

Old 09-28-2011, 08:17 PM

The one under the cooler lines in the input speed, the one around to the side is output speed.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 AM

okay, yesterday i went out and started checking wiring harnesses for chaffing or damage, and i didnt find anything. i then started checking voltage from the ignition switch back to the IPM. had voltage to the starter relay, but found that there was no ground being applied to that circuit through the PCM. i am assuming that the PCM gives or takes away the ground to control many of these circuits this way? if that is the case, then the PCM is for some reason not giving a ground to the starter relay, therefore when i turn the key, the starter wont even make a sound. in the middle of doing all these checks, i turned the key once, and it started out of the blue....5 different times!! it ran for a good hour or so, then the 6th time i tried to start it, nothing....the same thing again, no ground through the PCM. i am not sold that the PCM is bad. my question is: what inputs to the PCM would take ground away from the start relay in this manner? i understand it takes many inputs and adjusts different circuits accordingly, but what would make it do this intermittently? would a cam sensor actually take out the starter like this? crank sensor? since i cant find a diagram on the internal makeup of the PCM, i cant see what would actually cause the ground to be taken out of the start circuit. help??

Old 10-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

there are no wire diagrams for the inside of computers it is a Proprietary system

Old 10-01-2011, 12:41 PM

ok, does the 3.3L have a camshaft position sensor? i found the crank sensor, but not sure about the cam sensor?

Old 10-02-2011, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by jeep79
ok, does the 3.3L have a camshaft position sensor?
Just below where the upper rad hose goes into the engine. Inside the top of the timing cover.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:46 PM

ok, found it. replaced both the crank and cam sensor. still no go. will not even crank. good battery, good power everywhere till it gets to the pcm, but the pcm will not give the circuits a ground. at this point i am really looking at replacing it. i didnt want to, but i dont know where else to go with it. the only other thing i can think of would be the theft deterrent system, but i know nothing about that. im at a loss.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:45 PM

plus i only have a three function FOB, so i dont think i have an actual security system. no red light either. is this a reasonable assumption and if so, then can we rule that out of the scenario?

Old 10-03-2011, 01:27 AM

You're going to need some live in person help on this one. Take it in to the dealer for a diag.

Quick Reply: surging, stuttering, and dying...