Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

surging, stuttering, and dying...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 PM

ok, i agree on this one. i do want to thank everyone who offered their suggestions!! i will post the fix on here once i have one. this has been a very trying week!!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:49 PM

well, i have had a mechanic looking at this for the past 3 weeks or so. he cannot find anything. he thinks that one of the two sensors actually fixed it, but there is no way to know until we put it all back together and drive it around for awhile. he says that the pcm takes awhile to "learn" the new sensors?? does this sound right?? i can understand the pcm "learning" the driving conditions, but learning the sensors??

Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by jeep79
he says that the pcm takes awhile to "learn" the new sensors?? does this sound right??
Absolute rubbish. You can manually relearn cam/crank position with a scan tool but it's a forced learn not a automatic learn.

Put what back together??

Last edited by TNtech; 10-25-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 AM

he had the dash apart under the steering column to check the ignition switch, and who knows what else. the problem is that he cant get it to fail now, and neither could i the last couple days it was here with me before he took it. i just know that as soon as my wife gets it back and starts driving it around, itll leave her stranded again.....i dont believe this is a "fixed" vehicle.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:39 AM

Did you find out what the problem is? I am having similar problem with my 1999 Town & Country Limited 3.8L. Taken it to two different mechanics so far. At first I thought it was my transmission slipping, but both mechanics say they don't think it's a tranny problem. I tried hard to think what it could possibly be, but the only thing I had done recently was put in a brand new battery, like within a couple of weeks of this happening. I was driving to pick up my daughter from dance class, on dreaded 316 in Lawrenceville, and it seemed like it wasn't getting enought gas going up hills (felt like it was losing power at around 45-50 MHP a kind of shudder or slip or two...) I took it home and my husband change tranny fluid with ATF-4 three times, and the third time is when I noticed I had to press harder on excellerator before it responded, and then it would shudder at a stop (never cut off though) The only dealer with a good tech near me is in Winder, on Atlanta Hwy. Please let me know if you find a fix. I would be very gratefull. Kind regards, Gina.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:08 AM

Gina, i dont think we have the same problem. mine actually did do the stutter thing while driving, but that wasnt the biggest problem. my problem is that it wouldnt start, and when it did, it would die a few seconds later. i wish i had a good answer for you though. i messed with it for a couple weeks off and on. i replaced the crank sensor and cam sensor, because i read a few posts that sort of suggested that could cause it. after really getting into it i found that the pcm was not applying a ground for the different systems that run through it (i.e. start relay, fuel pump relay, etc.). my question was, and still is: would a safety circuit within the pcm disable the entire thing if there was a specific component that was faulty somewhere in the system, or do i just assume a bad pcm?? my wife works for a company that has a full time mechanic for the semis they own, and he has had it for about 4 weeks now. he cant seem to find anything wrong, because 2 days before they took it to look at it, i went out and tried to start it, and it worked. it started up just fine, like nothing was ever wrong with it, and it has started up ever since then just fine. it just makes me nervous. there was no definite fix for it, and i dont trust it with my wife and kids riding around in it. i know they will get stranded in the thing again. so im sorry that i cant answer your question, but mine is still kind of a mystery as well. my wife is picking the van back up from her work today, so we'll see.....???
i wish you all the best luck in the world with your situation. i know the helpless feeling you get when your car clunks out on you. the best advice i can give at this very minute (and i know you wont want to hear this) is trade that piece of *&^* in on something OTHER than chrysler!! and im not being a smart @ss, im very serious about that. if we were in a financial position to do that, i would have done it long ago. best wishes......

Old 11-02-2011, 06:36 PM

well, had the van back for 2 days, and its doing the same thing. the mechanic said it was a bad starter.........HA! what a hack! there isnt any voltaget even getting that far! im going to replace the pcm and see what happens. without any real schematic to go on for the pcm, it is the only thing i can go on. heres mud in yer eye!!

Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 AM

for anyone interested in hearing the status of my problem, here goes...
after doing some more testing, i finally decided to buy a PCM for it. it was the only thing i could think of that made sense (with my limited number of schematics and diagrams). i bought a used one from advance auto parts, through their "advance salvage" division. i didnt know what this was at first, but it turns out that its basically what it says it is. it is a used part, that advance auto parts evidently pull off a salvage vehicle and sell to you. i dont know if these parts ever got tested or anything...i dunno? but i will say....happily....that the pcm has fixed the problem!!! we have been driving it around for over a week now without so much as a hiccup. AND....contrary to what i have read, we did NOT need to get it re-flashed at the dealership. now, if i had bought a brand new one, then i could understand having to do that, but according to advance auto parts, there was only one PCM made for my model year of van (not sure if i believe this or not tho). but if this is true, then it makes sense why we didnt have to have it re-flashed. anyway, the part cost 270 bucks as opposed to about 700 from the dealership for a new one. now there is no warranty with this part, obviously, but i figure i can go through one more used one and still be in it for less money than one new one!! anyway, i just wanted to let everyone know what fixed it, since you read so many posts on different forums that never actually tell you what fixed it. its hard to find anyone out there including dealers that know what theyre talking about, and who are honest, and that dont charge you an outrageous amount of money!! ....good luck to all in saving your hard earned money and fixing it yourself!!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:52 PM

i know this is an old post, but i need would like to follow up with it. Is the van still working? I am having this exact same issues. no start, not even cranking. Intermittent starting vehicle will shut off at random, start at random. sounds like exact same issue. when i do the on off with the key all it says is done. i took it to autozone and i get 2 codes one is like yours p0725 and i also get p0700. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor and still get the same codes and still have the same issues. so if you are still driving the van would love to hear about it. its becoming a pain. thank you so much for your time. hope to hear from you soon!

Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 AM

yes, the van is still going with no other issues from that particular system. We have been driving it for over a year now. The pcm definitely was the problem. If u can find the diagram for the pcm, then u can test the grounds for the fuel pump, starter, etc. When u probe the grounds for these different systems, they might all of a sudden work while its being probed, since you are basically providing a direct ground for it, so if that happens, that's good. Then u will know the pcm is failing to provide a ground on its own. Best wishes. Let me know if I can be of any more help. I'll do what I can for you. Where are u located?

Quick Reply: surging, stuttering, and dying...