Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T&C AWD

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:49 PM
oea
Default T&C AWD

I recently acquired a T&C 02 AWD.

I drove it up to VT during a snowstorm, and no cars passed me, some did only when the conditions were decent but only because I don't like going over the speed limit instead many do.

I drove it down to MA and the conditions were even worse throughout VT and upper NH, with freezing rain, and nobody passed me without passing him/her (I doubt) again, except for an 18 wheeler, just crazy. When the ice turned to rain, then people would pass me again for the same reason above. I always drive at the speed limit or close (even when the conditions are scary to most)

I am impressed as how well the AWD behaved and gave me an edge, with overtaking in the passing lane not concerning at all.

I don't understand why they were discontinued.

Too bad that it's not manual and, that would be fun, I can't decide how do distribute traction front/rear.

Does anybody know what traction distribution F/R the T&C has?

Old 03-06-2008, 07:16 AM
Default RE: T&C AWD

The main reason why the new vans do not offer the AWD option is because of the redesigned under floor pan that runs the length of the vehicle. It was redesigned when they offered the Stow and go seats (the ones that fold right into the floor) and as such the floor pan has to accomodate the seats now. There is simply not enough room to squeeze in an AWD drive train. I really do wish they offered it though. My 4.0L is a great power plant and I would have loved the added security and stability of AWD.

As for the traction distribution (F/R) I wouild think the bias is toward the front....maybe 60-40%?

Old 03-07-2008, 08:25 AM
oea
Default RE: T&C AWD

Now I see why there are no more AWD, but to be honest, I am really thrilled by it, prob more than the stow and go feature, if I had it.
Of course that's because of how I use the vehicle, which might differ greatly from that of anybody else.

But it was good to see how good it does in bad weather and road conditions, better than all those that I happened to overtake at least...

And I believe that 60%-40% is a good guess, but wouldn't it be great if you could alter that while you drive...?