Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Tilt wheel problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:51 PM
Default Tilt wheel problem

I have a 2002 Caravan SE model and the tilt wheel froze, so i took the cover off too see a pin had slide out of place, i put the pin back, but still not working...When you pull the level it will not move the part up to where the V notch is in order to move the wheel

refer to picture... it looks like to me there is a spring missing, on the left side..There is a spring on the right at the back, i would think there should be a spring on the left..
The Pin at the back has a groove in it that looks like a spring should be attach to it..
I see no broken spring at all... can anybody help... Thanks

Old 04-06-2012, 02:56 PM

A couple things i forgot to say , the pin that slipped out of the hole is the first pin by the V groove and if there is a spring on the left side i know it would attache to the back pin, but where does it attach too at the front.

The spring on the right side has a fitting it attaches to i see nothing on the left side so i am guessing it must attch in another place so.. there is tension on the lever..

Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 PM

You will have to hit the salvage yards for that spring....or maybe even a column if it's broken where that upper spring loop is.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 AM

After looking at it closely , it is broke.. you can see it in the picture ,,The first pin, on the left side if you look below it, the piece of white metal has broken..

I will go to the wreckers to get another one today... and the spring. still don't know where it went ..

Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by rick31797
After looking at it closely , it is broke.. you can see it in the picture ,,The first pin, on the left side if you look below it, the piece of white metal has broken..

I will go to the wreckers to get another one today... and the spring. still don't know where it went ..
It may have shot up in the dash somewhere. Columns in those are not difficult. If you hve any questions you can PM or post here.

When you take yours out make sure the wheels are centered and don't let the steering wheel rotate. Actually, I would remove your old clockspring before you take it out. Don't use the one from the salvage column, it may be bad. DISCONNECT your battery BEFORE doing anything and don't reconnect it until you're done. Also, don't accept a column with a key cylinder still in it if they don't have the key to it. You'll need the key to remove it.

Last edited by TNtech; 04-07-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:07 AM
Default tilt wheel

I went to the wreckers , they want me to buy the whole steering column.. 50.00 and i take it out, i tried to get it out but could not..i will see if i can buy one already out.
as far as the key goes, they tell me if i take the ignition off the old one and installed it on the one i am replacing , i turn the key on and leave it for 1/2 hr, dont start the van.. The security will reset and i will be able too use my ignition with it.
There is no spring missing the one at the wreckers was the same way..