Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

took door panel off, now door handle sticks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 PM
Default took door panel off, now door handle sticks

A few months ago, I followed the advice on one of the threads here to try and fix the passenger power window motor on my '03 T&C. It worked like a charm and the motor/window worked like a new one..... until a couple of days ago (different problem).

But, after that first time of removing the door panel... after putting everything back together, the door handle will not return to it's original position on it's own. I have to push it back into place. The door opens and fine and will close fine once I push the handle back flush. I removed the door panel a couple of times trying to see what could be causing it and I can't see anything causing a bind on the rod.

A couple of days ago, the steel cable got off track somehow inside the spool on the motor and it too kinked to fix, so I went and got a replacement regulator and motor at Advance ($52 after using a coupon code online to save $30!!!!).

I replaced the regulator/motor. Everything works great. So I look AGAIN at the positioning of everything inside the door as I'm putting the door panel back on. Every screw is in, every wire where it's supposed to be. Door handle still not returning back to it's original position.

When opening the door from the outside of the van it works as it should. You can open and shut all day. But when pulling the handle on the inside, you have to push the handle back in or the door won't close/latch.

Any suggestions?

Old 03-17-2011, 10:29 AM

If you've still not resolved this then I had exactly the same problem but it was a simple fix. After removing the door card again I realised that I had threaded the release arm through the wrong hole in the black waterproof liner. When replacing the door card the arm was being trapped between the card and the liner.