Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Town & Country BCM

Old 03-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Default Town & Country BCM

I have a 1998 Town & Country LX with electrical problems. It started with thedash going dead in cold weather and and coming on once it warmed up. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the BCM and all was fine for a week ($1650). Then one night the horn, lights and wipers all started going on after the car was turned off and parked. They again replaced the BCM saying it was a refurbished and could have been bad. That worked for another couple of days until the same happened again (horn, wipers and lights). Took it back in and again they replaced the BCM. All worked well for about a month then the check engine light came on and had a loud, grinding sound under the hood and the dash now went dead after about 30 minutes each drive. Took it back in and they replaced the air conditioning pump (noise) ($740) and ran a system check and stated all was OK except the PCM now might be going bad (can have it replaced for $695 plus tax). The dash still does not work properly and the check engine light is still on.

Can the PCM be the dash problem or is this probably a bad wire somewhere? I do not want to throw monay at the PCM just to have a chance that it is the problem only to have to spend more in a few weeks on wiring or something else.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Town & Country BCM

the pcm and bcm are of no relation but only by commucation. DO u by chance have the codes thay pulled for the pcm??. 9 times out of 10 there are not computer problems they look like that but it would be a wire issue or a bad or messed up sensor. The older computers dont control as much as the new ones the 2000 and up. They use high side drivers more then the other older computers. Does the same prob keep comming back with there so called BCM replacement or are they different in nature each time? U tell me use common sence Can a single part that worked for how ever long u had the van or say sence it was built in 98 os almost 10 years and they put in a reman or new part and it is doing the same thing??? Plus doing that what 2 or 3 times same issues?? If that was the case then u need to play the lottery because U will win no matter what hehe. I would say u have another issue going on. U also sai u paied 1600 for a bcm?? i know they are high the parts should have been 600 unless thay also replaced the fuse box that the bcm attaches to it as well and the parts for the is around 500 so that would be 1100. and 500 in labor u tell me u have the recept. PS by dash going dead what do u mean the lights go deas or the sluster it self wont work at all aka guages and such? Let me know

Old 03-06-2007, 03:45 PM

The entire dash (gauges, speedometer, etc) goes dead. Originally it was taken in for failing the emmisions test and they replaced a sensor for the emmisions and the BCM.

I will pull my receipt tonight and post the codes if they are on the receipt.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

if the dash all together is not working then I personaly would say from what they have replaced already that u have a bad printed ck board on the cluster. Seen many stop the van from running and cluster it self just not work at all. U know what u can do when it starts to do its thing hit to top of the dash righ above the cluster with some might. If it comes back to life then there ya go but it will not alwase come back depending on how bad of a solder break it is. There are post on here some where that will show u what to do to repair yourself becasue the board is around 4 to 500. Or see what the dealer wil do for ya because they cant fix it in the first place. Be nice to the manager because it will be his call but be firm as well.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 PM
ace

yeah you gotta love the troubleshooting tips huh

its actaully a very good way to test good post chryslertech
i have read alot of your stuff and your good
keep up the good work and help