Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Town and Country wont start / stay running

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 04:41 PM
Default Town and Country wont start / stay running

Hey Guys, looking for some help and advice. I have a 94 van and it just recently started either not starting or starting and then coughing out 100 ft down the road. I figured it was fuel related so I have now changed the fuel filter, MAP sensor, fuel injection sensor, throttle position sensor and still not right...no change. I went and bought a fuel pump but have yet to install it because I don't think it is at fault. If you leave the van for a while it will start right up and sound great but after about 10 or 15 minutes it will act up and cough out and not start again for a while...then repeat same thing. I'm at a total loss as are my friends who are pretty engine savy. I need some help guys, anything you could tell me would be appreciated, as of now I can't even drive it to a mechanic for testing, the van gets about 1 block before it dies and it's a hard push back to the house. HELP!!!

Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM

The only suggestion I have is to try leaving the fuel filler cap off. See if that helps. It won't cure your problem but it's the first step in diagnosing the fault.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Default Gas Cap??

I just returned the fuel pump I bought a couple days ago ($175) and the guy at Pep Boys said the same thing about the gas cap. He also told me it could be the catylictic converter. I don't know what to do but will certainly check these possibilities, what do you guys think?

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM

Sounds like a sensor fault, as when faulty ones heat up they send the wrong messages (volts in waveform) to the ECM. Try Cam and Crank sensors as these are likely suspects. But before you do, check the wiring and connections to the sensors as a slack or corroded connector can give low or broken readings.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:02 PM

Thanks Goggs, I will check out those sensors. I am installing a new throttle position sensor tonight, but I don't have alot of faith that it's the culprit.

Old 08-03-2015, 05:36 PM

Ok, new update....I tried the gas cap idea and no go. I installed the new TPS for $37 and still no go. It will start fine and run for about 10 minutes great then the sputtering and coughing until dead. Seems like it needs to heat up. Im almost ready to call the tow truck to bring it to the local garage. It's really gonna **** me off to find out its a sensor I havent tried yet....anymore ideas fellas?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:37 AM

.....So no one else has any ideas? Did I stump the experts? I guess it's time to throw your hands up and admit defeat. I gave it a shot but I suppose I will open up the wallet and pay $500 for a tow to the shop, a $20 sensor part and $350 in labor. SUCKS.
Thanks for the advice i did get guys.

Old 08-04-2015, 10:34 AM

I bet you could get a later model that runs for $870 in the U.S.of A.

Old 08-04-2015, 12:04 PM

Just called the garage down the street and will be dropping it off tomorrow for an estimate. I will post the results and hopefully help someone else avoid my situation.

Old 08-04-2015, 03:55 PM

Yes time and time again I've seen 2001 on Voyagers going for upwards of £350 with faults that have been aired on here.

Quick Reply: Town and Country wont start / stay running