Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Tracking...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 05:31 PM

*UPDATE*

So took the Van back in this morning as you still need to have the steering wheel slightly to the right to keep a straight line! Tech adjusted it and took it out! Still pulling left! So back on ramps to check measurements! And it had gone way out!!! So adjusted it again and made sure ever nut and bokt was tight! Still pulled again to the left! Re checked the measurements again! He is at a loss to know what to do! Everytime it is adjusted, it kicks back out! Is this a steering rack problem? How could I check it if it was? Any thoughts guys?

Old 11-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Have you made sure that the track rod ends have the same amount of threads showing on both sides as this can throw the tracking off? If not get them so they are equal then attempt the tracking again.
Also check for backlash by turning the steering wheel slowly until the wheels move there shouldnt be much movement in the steering wheel before the wheels move.

Regards Dan

P.S sorry if im stating the obvious but are the tyres the same brand and of equal pressure??

Last edited by royal100805; 11-15-2014 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Missed out information
Old 11-16-2014, 05:01 AM

Its all down to setting up your steering rack. Setting up your steering rack with the engine running that is with no load on the track rod ends. What happens is the steering rack centres. You would be going straight ahead at this point. So now reconnect track rod ends, adjusting them so wheels are going straight ahead with correct toe out.
Just imagine turning your steering wheel slightly from straight ahead and adjusting your wheels direction so they are straight ahead, well steering will try to straighten.
Beginning to confuse myself.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:30 AM

Confused the heck out of me to mate! Lol... okay! So... The tech had the engine running the last 2 times I've been there. So he has to make sure the steering wheel is straight ahead. Then remove both track rod ends! Then replace them back on in equal amount of turns with correct toe out! This then should now work? Is that correct mate?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by royal100805
Have you made sure that the track rod ends have the same amount of threads showing on both sides as this can throw the tracking off? If not get them so they are equal then attempt the tracking again.
Also check for backlash by turning the steering wheel slowly until the wheels move there shouldnt be much movement in the steering wheel before the wheels move.

Regards Dan

P.S sorry if im stating the obvious but are the tyres the same brand and of equal pressure??
Hey Dan...

Okay... What Goggs has said sounds very similar to what you've said to me. They tyres are all brand new Goodyear UltraGrip 8 Winter tyres with 36psi all round. I remember when the inner steering rod was changed they had to remove the track rod end on the drivers side! This is where the problem now is. Starting to sound like they didn't put it back correctly when that was done to me!

Old 11-16-2014, 01:40 PM

Steering rack centres with engine running as rack is being pressurised. As to Steering wheel you can't go by how it looks as it may have been taken off at one time and not put back right. Set up wheels strait ahead, how, need to use tracking gear culminating on using rear wheels. Toe it by equal threads left/right at rod ends.
All square work.
Thinking about this, my steering wheel is slightly off, car is not pulling to one side and has been professionally tracked. So if I set the steering wheel right looking by adjusting the track rod ends (left rod + right rod -) would it pull to one side.
Somehow I don't think it would. But I'm hoping you get it sorted and tell us the true answer.

Old 11-16-2014, 02:18 PM

See if you can borrow a set of wheels and try them out so you're not using your present tyres. I know for a fact some tyres will 'roll down the camber' like our company vans did in the 1970s. Turned out it was the tyres causing it. When one van had two front tyres fitted locally -- that slight drift to the left it had was gone. Also, many tyres have to be fitted to rotate in a certain direction these days -- has that been properly done, if required? Is one the wrong way round, i.e. a different rolling resistance?

Leedsman.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:20 PM

You could switch the rear wheels for the fronts and see if anything changes but I do suggest completely unwinding both track rod ends then put them both back on with equal turns until the gauge reads zero toe in/out (won't hurt to put a bit of copper slip on them for the future). Then proceed with the correct measurements.

I think as work has been done before and only to one side this could be the underlying issue. Usually tracking is done with the engine off with the steering wheel clamped in the straight ahead position.

Hope you get it sorted as this is a pet hate of mine, fighting the steering for a long run.

Dan

EDIT: whilst I thought of it and forgot to mention, could also potentially be a sticking caliper?

Last edited by royal100805; 11-16-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:23 AM

I've had my 2001 Voyager CRD from new, so 13yrs and counting. It has 156K miles on the clock.

I can say for a fact that it has always worn the outer sides of the front tyres before the rest of the tyre, not badly, as it would when the tracking is out, but I've had it set up a few times, including when I fitted two new track rod ends and it's always the outer of the front tyres that wear first. My tyre guy says it's a big heavy car, and the road camber just works the edges a little harder then the rest. I'm also using 36psi all round.

I just rotate them onto the back after a while. I'm probably getting about 30K miles plus from the front's and 40K + miles from the rears I'm using Toyo open country & happy with them, it's the 3rd set I've had.