Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Tranny Problems.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Default Tranny Problems.

Have a 97 Town & Country. It throws these codes. P1784, P1776,P0760, P0420, and P0700. Changed the fluid and filter, reset the puter. On crank up seems to be fine and then when you drive it will kick down into third and light up the PRNDL. I was thinking of trying to clean the shift solenoids or replacing them, but I can't find a diagram of where exactly these things are. Can any one tell me where I could get a diagram or tell me where these are? Trying to stay away from the dealer if at all possible.

Old 05-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Default RE: Tranny Problems.

Ok update. I know where the solenoid pack is now. Driving it now it starts out in 3rd gear and stays there. It will not shift. The PRNDL is all lighted up. I still have reverse as well. Checked all the electrical connections, changed the fluid and filter. Still doesn't work. The fluid was not burnt or even looked or smelled like it was getting hot. There was barely any material in the bottom of the pan. Considering replacing the solenoid pack after what all I have read. What do you guys think? Would I be better off to let a dealer diagnos? Any help be appreciated. Need to get it fixed before vacation time rolls around.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

what is the tranny code i know u have P codes the 700 is for the tranny to tell the engein computer that the tranny has an issue u need a better scanner inorder to get into the tranny

Old 05-16-2007, 09:05 AM

We got those codes from the local Autozone. Would we have to get the codes directly from the tranny controller or just have a different machine to pull more in depth codes. I know a local garage that has one of them fancy Snap-On multi computers. I know he used it to set the timing on my Tahoe.

Old 05-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

u need the dealer computer or yes the snapon computer

Old 05-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Ok ended up taking to the dealer. They said that the shift pack was bad and of course that the transmission was burnt up. Told them they was full of crap cause it don't slip the fluid was in good shape and there wasn't hardly any material in the bottom of the pan. So I guess we will try and get a shift pack and put it on and see how that does.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

man I am sorry some people try that stupid crap and pull one over on U dont take it personal there are hacks out there in every dealer i deal with mine all day long. Replace the sol pack and go from there. Get them to give the tranny code b4 u replace anything i want to see what it is.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:07 PM

We suppose to have the new pack in today. A question that I have is. The computer is dubbed a learning computer, will I need to reset it or just put the pack on and drive it. If I have to reset it how would I go about this? We took the old shift pack apart and measured the resistance on the coils with an ohm meter. 2 of the 4 where way out. I will see if my father-in-law got the codes from them.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

the correct way to do it is to do a quick learn after u replace the aol pack yes that basicly relearns all the sections of shifting but sence udont have a scanner that can do tat u can drive it around and it will take some time but it will learn.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:11 AM

Ok we changed it and it seems to be working fine. Seems to be getting better the more we drive it. Something that came up and don't know if it is related or not, but the lights on the a/c and heater controls are now flashing. Everything still works fine, but those blinking lights are annoying. Have you ever encountered this before?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tranny Problems.