Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Tranny Problems.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Tranny Problems.

yeah need to recal the system because u unpluged your battery. here it is
COOLDOWN TEST ENTRY TO INITIATE TESTS: [ul][*]Set Blower motor ON HIGH[*]Set Mode position to Panel[*]Open all A/C outlets[*]Set Temperature to Cold (Both slide pots if equipped)[*]Depress WASH and A/C simultaneously for 5 Seconds [/ul] NOTE: Prior to start of test, If the evaporator is already cold, the system will fail test. To correct, operate system with A/C OFF and the blower motor ON high for three minutes prior to starting test. RESULTS: [ul][*]All LED's will turn on for 5 Seconds[*]Cooldown Test is running when A/C and RECIRC. are alternately flashing. If A/C and RECIRC. are flashing simultaneously, Cooldown has failed. [/ul]

Old 05-26-2007, 04:38 PM

Hello Jon Boy & Chrysler Tech,
I'm not a rookie under the hood, have done all the repairs a shade tree guy can do anymore since the 80's. have changed tranny fluid and filters on my Ford trucks for years, but I haven't done much tothis T&C. dealer replaced the power steering pump on a recall a year or so ago is only other problem we've had.

I think I'm having similar issues to Jon Boy, but I don't have codes. Wifey sez her 2003 3.8 T&C has started "acting funny" when she "tries to go." (yeah, she's blond!) I haven't seen it first hand, but apparently it's not responding to shifting into reverse or drive intermittently. she said"if you give it gas after shifting, nothing happens". I said "do you hear the motor run louder" she sez "nope". I've seen some spots in the driveway, a few inches behind the left front tire and thought it was power steering fluid, but didn't verify it.sinceI travel forwork, she made arrangements for dealer where we bought it to take a look at it today. dealer callsand wants $900 to replace "the front transmission pump" which he later identified as a solenoid or $1600 to replace the "front solenoid" and perform an overhaul, naturally he recommended the $1600 route "since the mechanic is gonna be in there anyway..." then went on to suggest that "if we had any thoughts about trading, now would be a good time..." So, I'm really suspect of their answer. I want to get it back and change the fluid and filter myself and see what's in there, and get the codes if any, like a dummy i forgot to ask.

Jon Boy, is this symptom what you experienced to get your codes? is there another thread on the forum i can search for?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:55 AM

Volman,
This transmission went into limp mode. It had reverse and started out in like 2nd or 3rd gear. It would not shift. It didn't slip or anything else. We picked up a shift pack from the local parts store for around $129. Installed it and that seems to have fixed the problem. Took a little time for the computer to learn the new settings, but all good now.

Chrysler Tech,
Thanks for the replies. It's a shame we don't have people like you working in our local shops.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:26 AM

Jon Boy,
Thanks for that info. Maybe mine isn't quite that bad--yet! I got a code from the dealer: P0944. They said it was a front pump bleed down diagnosis. I'm gonna change the fluid and filter and see what that gets me. Dealer will get me a print out of all that's been done toit, they should have done this at 30K and 60K, but I bet they didn't...

Chrysler Tech,
any info on that code would be great!

thanks

Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

the 944 is loss of prime or low fluid . Find the leaks on your van and fill it back up after u do a tranny service. Use RTV not a Gasket when u put the pan back up. As for jon boy move to my area hehe. The sol pack in the humm silver box infront of the tranny not inside the tranny. Has a connector with an 8mm bolt int he middle of it easy to replace not a 900 repair the part is 210 at the dealer stuid hacks .

Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Hi
I am new to the forum and new to the chrysler as well. I bought this 3.8 L T&C6 months ago .It has 93K miles on it. 2 days ago I was overtakisng a car and the car just she toppped delivering the power to wheels . I pulled to side and same story . Engine revvs but Van does not more . I tried R as well. Trans fluid was clear and at correct level . I took it to an Indi and he has referred to me a transmission guy. What can be the issue. Will the transmission need a rebuild or is it some solonoid which can be replaced without
opening the tranny.
Regards
RAJAY