Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s

Transmission downshifts too much

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 01:57 PM
Default Transmission downshifts too much

2010 Town and Country, 3.8L.
This is not a malfunction question. It is a programming and operator decision question.

There are things that annoy me.
1. The tranny is too sensitive and quick to downshift due to pressure on the gas pedal.
2. In cruise control set on say 60, After slow down to say 50 for traffic, resume causes down shifts and rapid acceleration back to 60. Not necessary. Slow speed up is better. I can stomp on the gas if necessary.
3. Most ridiculous in cruise control I NEVER want the transmission to downshift automatically on downhills and speed up. I can handle that situation myself.

Now I know others might think these are all good things (like the daytime running lights). I do not and I want to be able to turn them OFF. Any comments or suggestion? I did not look through all the thousand pages here but I did search quite a bit.

Old 07-11-2018, 07:21 AM

Strange autobox operation? One thing to check that seems illogical is the operation of the pedal-operated brake light switch, and not to inadvertently have your foot resting gently on the pedal when not needed. Don't ask me why, but there is some link-up with autobox control. Worth a look for nothing.
Leedsman.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM

We had a 2009 Routan, Performed the same. I was annoyed by that one too. It is the programming of the downshift that I want to tweak. Any hackers out there?

Old 07-11-2018, 03:35 PM

Another simple thing to check is air leaks in he inlet manifold and associated rubber hosing with a petrol engine plus auto box. The manifold depression is used by autobox control for sensing the driver's requirements. There will also be some kind of sensor for this purpose.
Leedsman.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:25 PM

There's been a few mentions on here about the 2.8crd Auto not being a good tow vehicle due to it continually down shifting even on the slightest hills...I think Scotsman4 even mentioned it..

Old 07-15-2018, 11:05 AM

Its gearbox software as is DRL's, beep on lock and other related country code issues. Fuzzy logic 'driver habits' can be learned but within pre-set limits and changed with 'quick learn' with a good scanner , however the downshift on even a mild incline is something that has never been adjusted by the manufacturers.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Must say, my 2.8 CRD has shifted gears more or less like any other autobox I've had. Drive with a light foot as I do to save diesel and the box holds onto a higher gear until it really does need to change down. Maybe disconnecting the battery and shorting the connectors (NOT the battery!) together for a few minutes could dissipate any 'learned' behavior before reconnecting might fix it.

Another possibility is really "mucky" ATF fluid in the box. The good old boys all say the same about autoboxes, any problems, change the ATF first. There is a procedure for this, it's not like changing engine oil.
Leedsman.