Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to get a 97 T&C going

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Default Trying to get a 97 T&C going

Okay, I typed a bunch of stuff out and realized how long and boring it was, even though I indented most of it. Skip through it all to get to what I'm trying to solve, and if you have questions, then scroll up a bit for background and skim.

I'm new to the Chrysler family and I'm glad I found this board. I relied heavily on Brickboard (Volvo) and SaturnFans for previous cars. I recently became the owner of a '97 T&C and was worried that I wouldn't be able to find such committed fans, but it looks like I was wrong. <grin>

Forgive the long narrative, but it'll give the complete background. Skip the indented part of you simply want to get to the issues.
Got the car a week ago from a couple who wouldn't know how to hold a screwdriver (I know them personally) so they've never attempted to do anything to it themselves (thankfully). They are also really tight (example: about a year ago they knew there were going to get rid of the van and called me to ask me to go with them to help select a good set of used tires for the van (I got out of it)). They did some necessary repairs along the way, but that's about it.

For the last nine months it would often stall while at red lights and would 'stumble' at other times. When I drove it home I noticed that when I was going uphill and let off the accelerator (getting to close to the car in front of me, for example), when I hit the pedal again the van would attempt to die (RPM and MPH needles would dive) but catch up again
I had a similar issue with an older Buick Regal years ago and the issue was a knock sensor. I told the guy at NAPA what was going on and he said that the problem for the vehicle was likely not the knock sensor but the crankshaft position sensor, so I bought that instead.

I misread the Haynes manual and pulled the camshaft sensor. I realized that I couldn't simply drop the old one in without the paper shim. I thought about it a bit and considered the age of the parts and just got a new camshaft sensor as well.
The van liked to randomly die at idle, but otherwise ran fine. I replaced the camshaft and crankshaft sensors, then four of the six sparkplugs (gotta get to the other two next ASAP).

As soon as I start the van, it feels like it's missing. It gets worse under load, and when going up hills I feel fortunate that I made it.

The van wasn't like this before. I've pulled the four plugs and all look good (not fouled).
It's a '97 T&C with 106k on it.

I pulled the codes:

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0401 Exhaust Gas recirculation flow insufficient detected
P0134 02 Circuit No activity detected (Bank 1, Sensor 1)
P0700 Transmission Control System (MIL Request)

Car stalled occasionally before I did anything. I replaced the crank and camshaft sensors (plus 4 of 6 plus) and now it's running like crap (as if one or two pistons aren't firing) especially when under load (going uphill).

Four plugs are firing (pulled and checked them) and will get to the others ASAP.

Thoughts? Why is it running like crap now? Does it sound like one (or both) of the replaced sensors are bad (scroll up for the full story)?

Help?

Old 10-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

well first replace the egr valve and o2 sensors and not with a bosch one either.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 PM

Okay, l can do that tomorrow, but do those address the current issues of sputtering at all times, especially under load? Especially when that problem didn't exist a few days ago?

Old 10-27-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

take care of whats in front of u then deal with any other issue later I doubt u will get a one time fix and it be will solve everything one step at a time.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:06 PM

Update:

Replaced the EGR and the O2 sensor.

The 'missing' thing was from the #1 plug wire not going on completely. Other plugs and wires were replaced.

After changing the above components, the van was still stalling. I pulled the codes and still received the same four reports. I tried several times to erase the codes and still kept getting the same codes.

I finally pulled the cable from the battery and waited a while before reconnecting.

No "service engine" lights, no stalling, no issues. It seems the computer saved the problems and kept trying to adjust for them. Once they were cleared, van runs fine.

I'm posting the above in case someone else has similar issues. I have other problems with the van I'll post in different threads.