Chrysler Voyager & Town & Country The first and foremost name in minivans leading the class since their inception in the 1980s
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unpredictable starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Default unpredictable starting problem

1998 T&C 3.8 L - Mostly starts fine, but for no apperent reason, it won't turn over at all. The lights and all work fine. Then maybe 10 minutes or a day or two it will start just fine again. Any sugestions? I changed the starter and no change.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: unpredictable starting problem

describe the starting issue. fast clicks when trying to start, nothing at all when trying to turn over turns over but no fire????

Old 06-12-2007, 08:01 PM

Mostly when the problem occurs, there is no turning over at all and occasionally there is turning over with no fire.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

possable ign switch issue, have u seen nething go on with the insterment cluster while driving?
Possable fuel pump issue. If u have no idea or cant do any tests then u should take it to some one and have them look at it.
Get back to be if u dont take it toa dealer and tell me what they say b4 u agree on a repair

Old 06-15-2007, 03:44 AM

I am taking my van to a fellow who has done work for me in the past, he is waiting to hear from the local Chrysler dealer and such before we procede. We are inclined to believe that it is the ignition switch issue at this point and will likely go that route unless we here otherwise from the local technician.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

why are u having some one look at it and all he is doing is trying to talk to a chrysler tech?
Sounds like some one will be getting 3rd hand info. And i will tell u one other thing if your guy calls some on up at the dealer they will more then likely just get a service advisor not a tech. Unless he knows some one on the inside and will talk right to a tech. I can tell u whats wrong just like the person that is making the call all I would need is some info on what things look like and was figured out.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 AM

Iam havinga similar problem with my 1999 Chrysler Town & Country. For a couple of months, the transmission gear display has been acting up.There is noindicator(square indicating gear selection) whenthe van isin Park or Neutral. In fact,when the van is in Park it frequently displays as Reverse. When the van is in Neutral it frequently displays as Drive. Moving the gear selector back and forth eventually it starts in what should be park or neutral even though it does not display. Theengine and transmission run fine once it starts. But when you put the van back in Park it displays as Reverse.

Old 06-15-2007, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

not the same u could have a park nutural safety switch bad.
PARK/NEUTRAL STARTING AND BACK-UP LAMP SWITCH TEST The park/neutral starting switch is the center terminal of the 3 terminal switch. It provides ground for the starter solenoid circuit through the selector lever in only Park and Neutral positions.[*]To test switch, remove wiring connector from switch and test for continuity between center pin of switch and transaxle case. Continuity should exist only when transaxle is in Park or Neutral.[*]Check gearshift cable adjustment before replacing a switch which tests bad. [/ol] REMOVAL[*]Unscrew switch from transaxle case allowing fluid to drain into a container. Move selector lever to Park, then to Neutral position, and inspect to see the switch operating lever fingers are centered in switch opening. [/ol] INSTALLATION[*]Screw the switch with a new seal into transaxle case and tighten to 33 N·m (24 ft. lbs.) Retest switch with the test lamp.[*]Add fluid to transaxle to bring up to proper level.[*]The back-up lamp switch circuit is through the two outside terminals of the 3 terminal switch.[*]To test switch, remove wiring connector from switch and test for continuity between the two outside pins.[*]Continuity should exist only with transaxle in Reverse position.[*]No continuity should exist from either pin to the case.[/ol]

Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 PM

I have a new starting issue, I was driving w/cruise control set and then the engine reved an I lost power. Felt like the fuel pump stopped working. I pulled over and checked all fuilds, rad, trans,oil, etc... All ok got back behind wheel push gas peddle and very slow to get back to speed. Re-set cruise and did it again 12 miles later w/18 wheeler on rearend, that was close! Off @ the next exit shut her down and wouldn't restart for 1 1/2 hrs and when did it was a labor, just turning over and over!. I stayed over nite @ hotel got her started in am after many trys and drove home 100 mile no AC, NO cruise and now having trouble starting again. I did get her started around 3pm after a couple of attempts. 1996 T&C w/172K. I bought in new. Any Ideas?????